Recording midi from ableton into DN?

Hi there,

Still learning the wild world of the digitone here and had a perhaps basic question: is it possible to ‘record’ MIDI data from a DAW like ableton as a track on one of the digitone’s midi channels? I’m still trying to figure out a workflow kind of solution between ableton and the DN without being good at either one of them, hah.

Thanks!

Sure … we can use the “LIVE RECORDING MODE” for this.

Best practice would be to have the DN and the DAW to be syncronized, and one of them set to be “master-clock” and the other to “slave”. This can be done in the MIDI preferences of the DAW and in the GLOBAL SETTINGS/MIDI CONFIG/SYNC menu of the DN respectively.

Let’s assume a very basic scenario and that the DAW is master.

The DAW has to be set to send out the clock and the midi commands for start and stop. The DN has to be set to use the external clock and receive the midi commands for start and stop. If the DN is set to recording it will wait, until the DAW starts to transmit the midi notes and corresponding CCs.

BUT … most DAWs use a linear sequencer and the DN has a step sequencer. This means that the DN can only record a maximum of 16 steps per “bar”. If the DAW sends more notes, notes will get lost.

1 Like

Nice! Thanks, I’ll give this a try tonight.

My problem is that I tend to play things on a MIDI keyboard live in a way that might be too confusing for the DN’s sequencer, especially when things need to get quantized. So if this works, I can record MIDI to ableton, polish it up, and send it to the DN where I can sequence other gear from there. I’ll report back with results!

That exactly is my experience … many notes got lost, if I recorded live on a step sequencer. For recording my live keyboard playing I use Squarp Pyramid or a MPC, because both have linear sequencers.