Recording live jams: Sub mix into interface or what?

Hi Nauts…

Hmm… so I’ve been toying with figuring out the most efficient way to record jams. Was wondering if there are any creative ways to do this efficiently without having to buy a QuPac :slight_smile: or muting tracks and layering…

I have a little analog mixer that goes into my Apollo UAD interface… problem is multi track recording isn’t really possible this way because all synths come into 1 audio channel on the Apollo (hence Ableton)… the way i by pass this is to mute and then layer but that’s not as much fun.

Should I just get an 8in Mic Pre that I can connect using ADAT?

Yeah I’d go for that option unless wanna spend bigger bucks for q-pac etc. I have Focusrite pro 40 and Focusrite octopre for 16inputs. No complaints in past 6+years. Haven’t really kept up with what’s out there at the moment tho, should be better options now :wink:

Thats good advice… I was eyeing up the Audient ASP880 but those things are too expensive… Focusrite doesn’t compromise on audio quality either I hear… never owned.

i have the same problem, been considering one of these:

16 input usb interface £409

I never noticed the pre’s to be anything other than transparent, but been a long time since I’ve had another interface around to compare to and my hearing is kinda shot :wink: Maybe someone who has a bunch of interfaces/pres can give a more accurate appraisal :wink:

1 Like

Never heard of this before… 16in/8out
As I already have an interface I just want something clean with ADAT connectivity.

I think the Focusrite Octopre is good as mentioned above, there’s also a cheaper option from Behringer - ADA 8200 which I’ve seen decent reviews of. Might pick up one of these (I have a 1st gen Scarlet 18i8)