Recording length question

Since OT can only sequence 64 steps, I seem to be forced to outsource the triggering of a 128-step-long sample via a note-on midi message sent from the newly-updated external sequencing and pattern length features of my Tempest.

I simply want to record a 128-step-long sample from my synthesizer, and play it on my OT on the first step of every 128-step repetition. But I obviously need it to be triggered externally, which I seem to have figured out.

So as far as my record length settings go, how do I set it up in order to have the max sample recording length set to be 128 steps long? (I’m assuming that storage space won’t be much of an issue for me, so I could go with the 24-bit)

As a sidenote: my Tempest’s transmission of it’s default midi root note was making my OT start recording. I was able to get around this by transposing the note UP 14 increments, but I’m wondering if I can change a setting on the OT or Tempest to make the default note register as a note-on signal for the OT to play the sample.

Set the time signature to 1/2 with master length to 128.

1 Like

That was unbelievably helpful, I 've struggled with this issue for a year!

So my only other question is, how do I set the recording length to be exactly that long now? (128 16th notes) or two runs of the master sequence?

Since its set to run at half speed, do I just set it to 64 steps in the rec setup page?

Glad to help. What I’d do is set the recording length to MAX and the quantized recording to PLEN. Alternatively, you could set a one short recording trig at the start of your pattern.

1 Like

Yeah I want to use a one shot trig and have it end exactly on time, after 128. So length/reserve isn’t all that important I guess, I just want it to automatically end on time.

Once it passes over the recording trig again, it will stop recording. If you don’ t mind manually stopping recording than, set up quantized recording to whatever timing you feel comfortable with. Personally I usually set it to the pattern length or 64 steps, that way I can double tap to start and stop recording after 64 steps.

1 Like

this doesnt seem to happen for me… it just starts a new recording… the recording never stops, it just starts creating a new one each time it gets to the recording trig

im also trying to get the recording stop at a quantized point, but it doesnt seem to work via RLEN setting when tempo scale is set to “per track”, since it uses whatever base value there is instead of the one setup on the track

This is expected I guess, from manual:

I don’t think there’s a way to automated stop longer than the equivalent of 64 steps at 1x. You might be able to use one2 mode, rlen max, and qpl at pattern length or a number(and maybe qrec too but on PU’s only qpl is used), to manually quantize end recording/start playing by pressing [track]+[audio rec]/[midi] after recording starts…
I would love rlen to go to 128, 256, or even 512 or 1024 would be awesome…
If the trig keeps making a new recording, it’s not a one shot… But I don’t think the info is right about recording stopping after passing over a one shot recorder trig after deactivated, its determined by rlen…

1 Like

no because its still referencing the RLEN parameter…

I ended up setting RLEN to 64 and then dividing the tempo down… it works but yeh its not an ideal workflow

guess I’ll go back to sampling into Ableton, then quantizing the loop and re-importing…

One2 mode with rlen MAX works great for me, if you set QREC to PLEN then it quantises recording perfectly as a longer loop. I do this regularly with good results, but you may need to turn dynamic recorders on for longer loops. You can also switch/chain patterns while recording like this, and if you need to record without any tails at the start you can start with a dummy pattern, hit the ONE2 combo and then switch pattern, the recording will then start perfectly on pattern change.

I hope i’ve explained that ok :slight_smile:

1 Like

With Rlen max, One Shot 2, QRec = PLen, I confirm you can record up to 1024 steps if master is set so.

1 Like

With one2, rlen max, qrec, qpl, and dynamic recorders you can definitely make longer quantized loops that are perfect pattern lengths with manual sampling, 128, 256, 512, 1024… I’m pretty sure you can start with one shot and end with manual button combo, manual stop recording button combo defines rlen when set to max and using one2, and can be quantized…

2 Likes

Ok thanks. Took me quite a while to figure out why this wasnt working for me.

Finally discovered that if you are in Recording Setup, and the REC button is lit - the manual button combo does not respond.

You have to get out of REC mode inside Recording for the manual button combo to activate start/stop - and now its working correctly.

thanks everyone!

4 Likes

Ah yes that catches me out from time to time too, I completely forgot to mention it :wink:

Glad you got it sorted!

1 Like