Recording from the internet

OK – getting my legs on this very cool piece of equipment. I can sample from a keyboard or live, but for the life of me I cannot record from my Mac into the machine!!! What the heck? I tried going directly from a USB to input A/B and also through audio interface.

I thought it would be cool to use sound effects from YouTube.

What am I missing?

Usb to A/B? How?

2 Likes

I bought a cord on-line – USB to XLR Cable – thought it might work but couldn’t get the octatrack to hear it. I can get my voice or a midi sound to come through. Just can’t figure out how to record from the computer.

I used to just plug my phone in via a stereo 1/8"-to-dual 1/4" cable. If i’m reading this correctly though, you are trying to route audio from your computer to your OT via already existing connections right? Is your Audio interface acting as the main output for your mac?

EDIT: OH just read your above message regarding the USB to XLR cable, I’ve never seen one of those before and I’m not sure how that would work without some sort of weird driver or software to route it.

2 Likes

Dude. The logistics of that sound incredibly frustrating.

I like the commenter above would just use your phone or the headphone jack

2 Likes

Yes – I believe so – I changed “output device” to USB – though maybe that was not enough?

OK – I think I just need to order a stereo 1/8 to dual 1/4 cable and run it from my phone.I appreciate the guidance!

2 Likes

Yes, 1/4" to 1/8" is the way to go. I’ve never heard of that cable type either, weird.

1 Like

I use usb to an interface like Heat or my mixer and then run cables from there. I don’t think I’ve ever seen usb to xlr and wonder what that cable’s purpose is

For Youtube, nab the audio using Jdownloader, convert and copy over.

Yamaha AG06. Or some loopback software.

Does the Mac in question have a headphone output? If so just use that. 1/8 to 1/4 inch adapters are easy to find.