Recorder buffers for looping and live sampling

In relation to the example that you shared (fantastic), as you commented the configuration was this:

It would sound the same with a Flex, but with PUM you have a permanent monitoring.

T1 = PUM Comp Eq
T2 = NEIGHBOR Filter Chorus
T3 = FLEX, Recording T2, played with pitch - 12
T4 = FLEX, Recording T2, Fx
T5 = FLEX, Recording T2, played with pitch + 12
T6 = FLEX, Recording T2, filters for “drums”
T8 = Master Fx Reverb

In this way, you record the loop in the Pickup and manipulate it from the Flex.
How would you do the same without the Pickup? Is it possible to do it with a Flex, controlling Rec / Play with a foot controller? (hands free)
The problem that I see him doing with Flex without PUM is that you have to arm the REC when you want to start recording (but if I have my hands on the guitar… I can’t re-arm) and then to continue playing on the loop or add more layers you would need 2 Flex, am I wrong?

2 Likes

You can use a one shot rec trig, arm it with the Control Change CC53 (REC ARM).
To overdub, rec also the Flex track (itself T1-T8 or CUE).

Other method : rec permanently with rec trig, play realtime for monitoring, change pattern to play and stop recording.

2 Likes

How do I do that while I’m playing the guitar? Change from pattern A to pattern B, for example?

That’s a bit like “how to emulate a pickup machine with a flex machine”. I don’t see the advantage, but I discover that the charm of the OT is that there are many ways to do the same thing and everone can design a workflow that suits his personal logic :wink: That’s probably why OT survived that long and will probably remain an all-time classic.

1 Like

Send a program change.

1 Like

Actually, I think it’s the opposite, because Pickups were created after. :wink:

You can overdub many times with Pickups.
With Flex, when you apply fx, it can get muddy / dirty after 15 / 20 overdub recordings.

Yes I think I had that without pitch mod, OT master clock. :grimacing:

I don’t like the fact Pickups don’t play when I press Play button.

I think it’s possible to make an overdub undo with 2 Flex tracks and pattern changes.

It works with individual tracks.
Pickup machine double tempo

2 Likes

Same here OT was master, in fact no midi connected either which rules out any spurious midi data causing the issue.

1 Like

I just made a test, apparently possible to make overdub with 1 Flex track with 7 undos. But it requires 8 patterns, 8 recorders and 8 coffees. :smile:

Hey @Open_Mike!

4 Likes

Hah! Weren’t they supposed to not even exist before the play button was pressed? :wink:

The main play button. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
After you stopped. :content:

1 Like

And 8 headache tablets :joy:

2 Likes

Well, I was totally accustomed to PUM’s not starting when I press the main play button, but I left my equipment on overnight and today, the PUM’s DID start when I pressed the main play button. I captured it on video (attached), because I was almost sure that after a restart the situation would return to “normal” (PUM’s not starting) and indeed! it did! I have no clue what that was. Is there a secret key-combination that got reset when I rebooted? Anyone?

You can connect or disconnect them to transport using PU track button and tempo button.

6 Likes

Thanks! Another mystery solved. It’s not in the Key-combinations list in the user manual.

Yep, thanks didn’t know sync was changing play behavior. Something to try tonight!

SEQUENCER TO PICKUP SYNC The Octatrack sequencer can be tempo synchronized to a Pickup machine recording. This is useful if you want to mix pre-progammed tracks with Pickup machine loops and don’t want the sync of the sequencer to drift.

Press [TRACK] + [TEMPO] to sync the sequencer to a Pickup machine loop. The BPM value normally shown in the top left corner of the LCD will at the same time be replaced with information about which Pickup machine that is controlling the sequencer BPM. To see the tempo of the loop the sequencer is locked to, open the TEMPO window.
If Pickup sync is activated when the sequencer is stopped and Pickup machines are playing loops, pressing [PLAY] will make the sequencer start playing the next time the synced Pickup machine loop starts over. If no Pickup machine is playing, the sequencer will start playing immediately when [PLAY] is pressed.

Here is a more exhaustive list. :wink:
ot-buttons-478140.pdf (299.6 KB)

5 Likes

Yes! I’ve tried it and it works. And if the sequencer is sync with the PU you have two options: All track stopped, press Play will start all toghether, or you can press Track (of the PU) + play and start playing the PU loop, then press play and the sequencer start playing the next time the synced Pickup machine loop.

2 Likes

Ooo Yes! Apologies for my ignorance, here I found how to send PC to control Patterns and be able to use Flex as PUM with two patterns:

:loopy: :wink:

1 Like

Ok so this plays 1 PUM only when you press main PLAY (can’t start several PUM at the same time), and it locks the tempo. Can’t stand it. I defenitely prefer Flex and I’d rather buy another looper than use Pickups. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

One way you can start all PU and tracks at the same time is to hold all track buttons whilst pressing play, it is how the Octatrack got its name because you might need a :octopus: to help :rofl:

5 Likes

It’s an analogy used in the manual of my new Hx Stomp. I already have 8 octopuses! :wink:

1 Like