'Recorder 1' or 'Recording 1' OT MK1

Hi All,

I recently acquired a MK1 OT and am practicing some live sampling. I’m aware that each of the eight tracks has a ‘recording buffer’, which in the manual is listed as ‘Recorder 1’ for Track 1, ‘Recorder 2’ for Track 2, and so on. However, on my OT, when I go into the ‘Flex’ machine on Track 1, for example, I can see only ‘Recording 1’, ‘Recording 2’ etc. all the way to ‘Recording 8’, and then there are empty file spaces to record and save samples (as you’d expected).

My understanding of the recorder buffers is that they’re needed to playback samples whilst live sampling. I also thought they couldn’t be overwritten, but it looks like I can actually overwrite the 'Recording 1, ‘Recording 2’ etc. slots.

So my questions are:

1. Is ‘Recording 1’ the same as ‘Recorder 1’ (i.e. has it changed as a result of an update)? Put differently, is ‘Recording 1’ my recorder buffer for Track 1?

2. If not, where is the recorder buffer? Can I create one?

Thanks in advance and apologies if a silly question.

Cheers,

Sam

Yes

2 Likes

Same thing essentially. Good question, though, made me check a project of my own. The empty track here has Recording 6 written, so that’s the name of an empty recording buffer:

2 Likes

You can overwrite or load any sample in those recording buffers. With Pickups you can load a sample and overdub it. You can reload an assigned sample after overwrite.

3 Likes

Big up, thanks both!

2 Likes

Ooh, I didn’t know you could load a sample into a pickup and overdub something on top of it. That’s my night’s entertainment sorted then. Thanks! :pray:

3 Likes

To be technically exact: “recorder 1” is the device which performs the recording. “Recording 1” is the content of the record buffer which gets filled by “recorder 1”.

You can “rename” the slots, but they are still the buffers used by the corresponding recorders. Save & rename a recording is useful when you want to preload these buffers with samples when you load a project (so you don’t need to sample something into them first).

3 Likes