Recorded pattern not outputing MIDI ext?

Hey there,

On my Digitakt, I noticed that playing a recorded pattern does not output any MIDI to external gear at all. Manualy pressing a Trig key does send MIDI out, but not playing back a recorded sequence.

Litteraly no sequencer data is outputed to MIDI ext for tracks 1-8. That does not affect MIDI tracks (9-16)

In “MIDI” > “Port config” settings, everything is set to send MIDI to “INT+EXT”

Is there any way to fix this ?

Regards

Sure you don’t have your midi tracks muted?

This is normal and expected, including the fact that you can manually play a track and output MIDI note events … these are not meant to play when sequenced on ‘audio’ tracks

1 Like

Audio tracks 1-8 don’t send out sequence data, midi tracks 9-16 do though.

1 Like

Just to further clarify, this sequencer is not 16 tracks of midi, it is 8 internal tracks for dedicated audio (1-8) and 8 external for dedicated midi (9-16).

The reason 1-8 have a midi channel assignment is so that the audio tracks can be controlled for notes / sequence / cc from an external controller or sequencer and then the DT unit can act like a module as part of a larger setup.

1 Like

Thank you for your answers everyone

I find it quite unexpected, considering pressing Trigs manualy does send out MIDI notes

I spent some time experimenting with different MIDI settings but internal loopback/routing does not seem possible

So MIDI loopback with cable seems to be the only solution (DT MIDI out to DT MIDI in, and DT MIDI thru to whatever else). I’m wondering how much latency that would introduce

Regards

If you think of the trigs as a midi keyboard sending note data when pressed, and the sequencer as software which records notes and control events, it makes more sense. The tracks (numbered) which are represented on the trigs are part of the software side and when you engage step record/live record they input sequencer events into the software.

Meanwhile, when the software is not recording sequencer events, the trigs themselves then do generate note data as a midi keyboard would and that is then sent externally (if enabled in the settings menu), however, the ability to write notes into the software (sequencer) and the ability to send them externally is dependent on what the software is capable of, and in this case it is not capable of writing midi data to the audio tracks or turning the midi tracks into additional audio tracks.

It’s a limitation of the device and software, but it’s by design. I don’t think midi loopback will fix this as I still don’t think you can achieve outbound midi data coming from the first 8 tracks, unless I’m misunderstanding what you actually want to do.

Midi loopback is using the tracks 9-16 to control internal events whether it be sequencing of notes or cc etc, but it’s controlling the internal audio track parameters with it’s own midi out, hence the loopback.

1 Like

Thanks for the precisions mate

1 Like

I honestly wouldn’t mind having the added flexibility myself, would make for an epic update if the sides were ever bridged together.

1 Like