"Record" button anxiety

I almost forgot about it entirely, until you brought it up. I think that’s what you have to do, don’t worry… “let go”. Forgot about it.

Also, it has to feel seamless to me when engaging or disengaging recording, so just whatever works for you, like a floor pedal or buttons on a controller or whatever you feel that you should have in order to make the act of recording itself feel right.

With that said, I suppose I’ve also come to terms with the fact that the performance is going to be slightly different when I hit record. At worse, you may fall into the same patterns too often and maybe even make the same mistakes, or anything else that can make the performance end up not feeling right. Or you may find that some of the things you naturally do when you’re recording are nearly involuntary responses your body has…

You can just take that rush or whatever you want to call it and do whatever you want with it. The important thing in my opinion is to be present in your performance, and not to worry about what could go wrong. I actually prefer not to record all of the time because I like that feeling of excitement when I’m recording and attempt to use that energy to my advantage in a given performance. You have no choice but to release that feeling, so you may as well channel it to the benefit of the music!

I suppose another approach could be - instead of recording constantly like some do; you can at least play like you’re recording even when you’re not. That can help a bit. But then you’d likely soon wish that you were recording though, while you’re mid performance and it’s too late.

You’ll know when it’s time!

coffee is for recorders

1 Like

Yep. Develop a recording habit then the 'recorder effect ’ looses its power.
I have the monitor mix out from my mixer plugged into a little Tascam DR05, I just hit record whenever I get something I like. What I do with those recordings is irrelevant really. The point in the excercise is to loose record anxiety :wink:

1 Like