Record audio with three boxes

syntakt, digitakt and digitone. the sounds go from one player to another and the usb to the computer. I would like to quickly and easily record jams on one track. what would be the best way? overbridge has an image of a cassette, through which you can easily get one player, but what about more.? thanks in advance.

Are you saying all your audio comes out of one box at the end of the chain, and you want to record the audio for all 3 onto a single track in your DAW? Or you want each on a separate track in your DAW?

Just thinking that if all of your audio is coming from a single box (the last in line) you don’t even need to use overbridge, you can just choose the device connected by USB as the audio source/soundcard in your DAW and record audio directly to a single track that way. OB isn’t necessary for audio over USB, but if you want to track out individual tracks then you need to use OB.

thanks for taking the time to answer, one track would be enough at the moment, and all I need is a recording. I only record live jams and I haven’t used a computer for years, and before that I only used analog audio inputs. but now gave up the mixer and external sound cards. so an easy, affordable and space-saving solution is being sought. Would Audacity still be relevant or should I look at something else?

I’ve done this in audacity so yes, relevant. To me at least. As long as your audio is chained together and all meeting in the mixer of the final device, you would select that device in the audio setup dropdown at the top of audacity, if you itend to monitor from your speakers set up to the computer make sure the playback device is the computer, otherwise you can set the final device (digitakt lets say) as the playback device. The playback device will determine where your computer sends the audio. You can track it out to a single track easily this way.

And no problem, what are we here for if not to help each other out when possible :slight_smile:

…if all that u want is nothing but a single stereo recording, audacity will be totally fine…

but since u got ob in use anyways, u can also just use that as a recording device…
and once u connect each of ur elektron boxes individually, which is nothing but three usb cables instead of one, overbridge can even record all ur single individual tracks from all ur individual devices or, if that is too much of a choice, just a single stereo sum of each in one go, too…

no need to daisy chain them physically in first place…

:point_up: reeloy’s suggestion is absolutely a more thorough and precise way of capturing all audio in one go, I just assumed you were saying you already had your gear hooked up this way and that you wanted the simplest way to plug into the USB and record without rearranging your gear and that’s what the information I gave you is based on.

If you’re starting from scratch, do it the other way instead (each connected by it’s own USB through OB, the audio of the 3 boxes will have better fidelity than using physical audio connected together.

If you’re just recording jams and you’re already accustomed to what you’re hearing, if your mixes are already (now) set in the final box and you just want to hit the ground running, then that may not matter to you, because the single usb to your computer will capture exactly what you’re already hearing currently and should require very little additional fiddling or knowledge of your daw/ob.

this was the right solution for the moment, and the sound caught on.

1 Like

glad that worked for you, sounds like an open and shut case here watson. don’t be afraid to experiment a bit in the future if you want more options for mixing your recordings in post, shouldn’t change your hardware footprint except for the additional usb cables.

1 Like