Recommend me a small mixer : )

Hi guys,

I’m running out of inputs on my soundcard so am thinking about adding a small mixer to my setup, or maybe a patchbay (or maybe both)…

Any recommendations? I’m thinking 12 channels max (mainly mono but a couple of stereo), with aux sends, some kind of recording feature might be neat…

Just interested to see how you peeps are managing your hardware setups.

Thank you!!

Sarah

Midas/Behringer colab which is still on my radar to get something analog to replace this Roland which is all digital (and insanely deep) - price drop recently, especially bigger brother which would suit me perfectly

There will be plenty of smaller/cheaper options and I am sure you’ll get loads of Mackie recommendations so this is astonishing value for the performance

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/behringer-ufx1604

1 Like

Like the Mackie vlz 1204. Good selection of inputs, two aux returns, some clever routing. No recording though.

4 Likes

I had the ufx1204 once upon a time and agree it is a good alternative for having an all in one solution. The only issue I had with it were the 24-bit recordings. It was practically impossible to find usb sticks that were compatible…at least with the 100 usb sticks I tried - i guess it might work with a powered harddisk. Nonetheless direct recording to a DAW was flawless.

2 Likes

I found that i could only handle so many devices at a time, without getting lost - that i have decided to get a DJ mixer with 4x stereo Input.
For recording - i would stick to a audio interface. (I have a QuPac, which works as audio interface, and has on board recording.)

2 Likes

I have a Soundcraft EFX12 which I really like as a straight-down-the-line compact analogue mixer, but it doesn’t record. The sweepable mid band EQ is really useful. If you don’t need the built-in Lexicon FX processor (which is pretty decent), the EPM12 has an extra aux bus instead.

1 Like

It would depend on your sound card, but if you have around 8 sound card inputs, then I recommend the Mackie 1202VLZ3 or 4

Why?

For the uses of expanding inputs to a sound card, the 1202VLZ3/4 gives you a lot of options with regard to using it as a patch bay, of sorts.
It is highly flexible thanks to its output structure.

Let’s say you have 8 inputs on your sound card. Through the use of the 2 Control room outs (via PFL solo) + 2 main outs + 2 ALT 3/4 outs + 1 prefade aux send. That gives you the ability to funnel 12 mackie inputs into up to 7 outputs from the mackie… into 7 inputs on your sound card.
In this case it acts more as a signal router which is great when you have that second drum machine or synth and no room to fit it into your sound card’s inputs.

8 Likes

Have actually been using a used Samson Mixpad that I got for beans, USB recording though not a lot of EQ, only on mic ins.
Pretty damn clean actually and I prefer having more stereo inputs over mono. I think it’s actually designed for broadcasting, but have had no issues w/ software on Win7, recognized immediately on the USB for recording.
FX are mono though, one mono send, the mic preamps don’t really add any flavor, though 2 ins have inline comps… good if you are working live recording w/ stereo gear that you already submix on, as in my case. And was used to a mixer for much of the final flavor…
Until I have spare cash for an upgrade, the Samsons are underrated.

1 Like

Actually that sounds ideal Adam. My sound card has 10 inputs. I’ll definitely look into that one.

1 Like

Thanks Avantronica. This one certainly has a lot of features but it’s a bit too big for my space I think…

1 Like

It would also help to know what gear you have to plug funnel into those 10 inputs. Let us know :slight_smile:

Midas M12 is another one with a similarly capable output structure, fyi. (6 outputs between; PFL monitor, main L/R, and 2 pre-fade aux sends)

1 Like

Here’s my gear:

Poly’s - Peak, Prophet 6 and Prologue
Elektron stuff - A4 mk2, AR mk2, Digitone, Heat
Mono’s - o coast, Nyx
FX - Oto Bam

Currently the sc is maxed and I’m utilising the A4 and Digitone audio ins. Prologue is going into Heat but I’d rather have a more flexible arrangement where I can patch anything into Heat.

Thanks for your help everyone!

1 Like

@sazb30
That’s a really nice set-up. :clap:
I’m slowly trying to construct a similar build and looking for a mixer that I won’t have to upgrade later on when I acquire new gear.
Currently trying to save for a REV-2.

Myself, I’ve been eyeing the Yamaha MG12XU 12 channel stereo usb mixer w/ effects.
Idk I just feel confident in Yamaha mixers.
It’s a little over $300 USD.
It has, 2 GROUP Buses + 1 Stereo Bus and
2 AUX (incl. FX).
Might be worth taking a gander at.

2 Likes

I would look at it also from the performance perspective, and i found that i cant handle more than two devices effectively at the same time. With AR or Tempest i can be occupied fully honestly. (Using all macros on it.) I thought also that if i would run all my gear through a mixer, i wouldn’t have to plug everything in and out so much.

For me it turned out , that i ended up in two modes, one is recording mode, and one is performance mode. That is why i would recommend a thunderbolt audio interface with a midi controller for recording, and a smaller mixer for performing.

Everyone is different though, but i would spend time on thinking this through.

There is a guy Vosne, who does really nice live sets and has an interesting setup:

2 Likes

which audio interface are you currently using?

RME Fireface 800

Great music there!

so you’ve got some ADAT expansion ports that you can fill. Adding one 8 input ADAT device will get you up to 18 inputs total

Lots of devices will suit the job, including older ADAT equipped audio interfaces.
I tend to prefer MOTU, since you can use their ADAT inputs (not outs!) to receive digital clock from the RME. You would only need 2 ADAT optical cables to connect to your RME.

Older 828 MKII, Traveler MK1, and 8pre all have standalone operation modes to be used as an a/d converter in this way.
The 8pre allows for setup without the computer. The other two require setup via firewire connected computer.
They each run about $125-$175 used and work great as dedicated converters.

3 Likes

Thanks Adam, I’ve had a look into the ADAT options but actually decided to go the mixer route… it worked out cheaper (I scored a bargain Mackie 1202 VLZ4) and I have hands on control, aux sends and output busses.

It should arrive tomorrow… then for the fun part of deciding how to wire everything up!

I appreciate your help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi guys,
I have a similar question but I did not wanted to open the new topic.
I plan to buy a mixer for my Elektron setup (OT, A4, Digitone and some effects) but the problem is I want a mixer with more stereo input rather than mono or mic input. Mackie Profx12v2 or Yamaha MG12 XU seems like a good options but I am not sure about the sound quality and also they have only 4 stereo input!