Real Future Of AI in Music: Production Copilot Coming To Your DAW?

People made similar arguments about books, and calculators. That has obviously not happened - or, at least, books and calculators haven’t had that effect.

2 Likes

It’s basically new cryptocurrency when it comes to people seeking it out for the ecstatic, clout, the need to fork people into “believers” and “luddites”.

Yeah, whatever, tech is tech.

(Not talking about anyone here specifically, I just don’t want to hear some spiel from someone who likes the feeling of being hip without any actual reason for people to give them validation.

I rolleyes at the claims because I HAVE tried it. It lied to me, invented functions and modules.

Sure it’ll save a little time on basic scripts, but there are huge limitations to the simulcra.

For simpler problems I’ve presented it with, it is more like getting advice from low-tier Stack users :frowning:

1 Like

Sorry to hear that - this was a bit beyond me so I’ve had GPT help me to approach this part of the conversation :slight_smile:

One way to comfort your friend is to acknowledge their feelings and concerns about technology and AI. You can assure them that technology is meant to be a tool to assist and enhance creativity, not replace it. Remind them that ultimately, it’s up to the artist to decide how they want to create and express themselves, and there’s no right or wrong way to do so.

You can also offer to share your own experiences with AI tools and how they’ve benefited your creative process, but make it clear that you’re not trying to convince them to use these tools themselves. Instead, encourage them to approach technology and AI with an open mind, and to explore these tools at their own pace and comfort level.

Finally, it’s important to emphasize that creativity is a deeply personal and individual process, and there’s no one-size-fits-all approach to it. Everyone has their own unique perspective and approach to creating, and it’s important to respect and celebrate those differences. Ultimately, the most important thing is that your friend feels comfortable and fulfilled in their creative endeavors, whether or not they choose to incorporate AI tools.

4 Likes

GPT is excellent at patronizing platitudes, but at least it’s not selling me a self-help book or funneling me sunk-cost into reactionary ideology.

3 Likes

It’s probably a risk :joy:

1 Like

I totally am open to AI helping solve complex problems that may save lives or the planet. Where time is of the essence.

I DO NOT agree with it helping me do shit that keeps me sharp and engaged.

See I’m opposed to it while debating with you about it. But when speaking to my girl, who, her and her colleagues are fucking terrified about being replaced, video game devs, I take the side of AI from the point of view of allowing people more time to do things they enjoy doing…like ART. they have been told to use Midjourney to get ideas for character designs. The fun part of their job. THAT is garbage. Creatives like to create. Those, I guess that lack vision, prefer short cuts. Me…I have no idea how to make music, but I’ll NEVER allow a machine to make the decisions in that respect for me.

I do take comfort, however, in that AI will never to be able to do my physical activities for me. Golf, surf, snowboarding, enjoying the woods. Sort garbage for me, cure cancer for me…so I can enjoy my activities.

I fucking HATE that, because I go the the driving range generally on this day at this time…my phone pulls up a map and driving directions at said time to let me know that’s what I usually do. I’m fine, I know what I like to do and when. I don’t need suggestions from my ducking phone.

Long and short: AI is amazing in that it can help us solve serious problems that need immediate attention that might take humans ages to solve. AI should not diminish human creativity. I like being stuck and figuring shot out on my own. I actually like having a huge task in front of me. Seems daunting, like it will
Never end. But there is a satisfaction when completing that job.

1 Like

Me neither! I think this is where we’re all talking past each other a bit.

I see it a bit like refusing to use an encyclopedia when you could go and spend a week doing first hand research (which at times will be needed, and might be something you want to do or see additional value in doing).

There are absolutely ways you could remove that joy and those opportunities but it’s by no means inevitable.

I mean 100 years ago people were saying the same thing about using a camera to take a photograph.

If it helps a colleague of mine used GPT to negotiate a pay rise last week. Not only did it help but it also gave them new tools to take forward in similar conversations - it’s not just about consumption, Information is power.

Ha ha ha.

But the books didn’t write themselves.
That can be done now.

You also don’t learn what’s in the book by looking at it. You gotta read and sometimes reread and reread the book to learn anything. [Octatrack manual]

Calculators have dummied people. In school I had to learn how to solve the problems, engaging thought. Now kids learn how to use the calc to solve the problem. Far less brain power required.

1 Like

Me too! And I’ve learned a lot about mixing and mastering and songwriting over the past 17 years. But sometimes, I would rather have help getting to the point that I want to get to more quickly and efficiently, because my free time is very limited and I don’t always want to spend it struggling with something I don’t understand. Guided AI tools could help with that.

I don’t think anyone here is saying that we should rely on AI, but that if it becomes another tool in our kit, it can be beneficial for those who want to use it. Those who don’t want to use it… can simply not. If there’s a market for “purely-analog” music, I’m sure there will also be one for “purely human” music too. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m gonna add:

I’m arguing against mainly cuz of what my artist buds complain about. I agree with them.

BUT, I can also go for…let AI do it all. So long as there is a universal salary. Cuz, as an artist, I’m shit at art. I’m terrible at music. I’m basically stupid. Nothings gonna fix that, I am how I am.

But if it affords me the ability to do all my activities and relax…fuck ya.

1 Like

Agreed.

1 Like

I just hear a boss in my head saying “with all that new free time, why don’t you work overtime,” and needing to catch up on bills.
No one is going to read books, or possibly have time to vacation.

1 Like

3 Likes

Plenty of people want to have been an artist more than they want to do the work, so I don’t think they will see this as a problem.

I mean relax…

:wink:

2 Likes

Coincidentally the point at which the ML companies stop caring.

I’d say the yellier, less nuanced proponents definitely have that clout in mind.

you’re confusing creativity with craft. those are related to some extent, but essentially two very different things

im not

It really depends on the use of “AI”/ML.

The more visible prompt jockeys spamming content around are looking to replace both, many people do enjoy the idea of having a bot “imagine” things for them.

Hmm, actually it could be very useful to simplify some sound-design tasks which would otherwise require writing some scripts in DAW. The one you described and batching tasks. “Tune the notes to different scale or pitch”. “Correct the order and position of the events”.
Intellectual “macros” thing could be nice.

(And my personal favorite wish: describe all the differences between two versions of the same song in natural language)