Real Future Of AI in Music: Production Copilot Coming To Your DAW?

They’ll probably be some AI to keep us from trying that

1 Like

I mean, I guess, but humans are deciding what music to promote (and when humans aren’t, algorithms already are), and we are pretty stagnant and have been for a long time.

I don’t know if algorithmic taste-satisfyers are going to be markedly different from a handful of tastemakers defining what is and is not published and in which genre.

Fully “democratized” music publishing is a nice idea, but people don’t want to do the work of finding music they like, so they’ll turn to algorithms or curated lists anyway.

3 Likes

Robot dogs who don’t need to ask for ID, but can read micro expressions and dole out punishment for having day dreams

1 Like

Yea along with GPT some of this stuff is such a massive productivity boost - in a professional setting you’d be left behind by not using it. I think if you approach this stuff purely creatively and don’t care about cutting corners then it probably doesn’t have much value. But I use AI tools in music already…

Waves Clarity VX gets used for cleaning some vocals etc. - I don’t think I could do what it does manually, and if I could I suspect it would be arduous and boring. It helps me focus on making music rather than doing donkey work. Same for StemRoller.

Isotope’s Ozone gets used sometimes too and I’d put that in the same camp. I have no interest in mastering my music, I just want it to be mastered - so it’s a great shortcut.

I don’t want AI to take away opportunities for me to be creative, but if it can do stuff that I’m going to do anyway and that I don’t enjoy doing then I say bring it on.

1 Like

Will this end up being a good thing?
I’m already exhausted from the rat race

1 Like

AI as a creative, removes the creativity from the artist. Don’t care if the artist decides what’s good and what’s not. The artist did nothing.

Allow AI to help cure disease, solve seemingly unsolvable problems, do dangerous jobs. Don’t allow people to put their names on a creative projects generated by a machine.

1 Like

How do you prevent that?

You don’t. It’s on the lazy “artist” to live with the fact they did nothing.

I’m not sure there’s a single answer to that question, “it depends”. But in the way that I’ve been utilising AI it is absolutely a good thing. It’s already improving the quality of my output with no drawbacks.

A lot of these tools are like super-powered versions of things we already have that aren’t AI-based. For example you probably don’t question the use of spellcheckers or autocomplete. They just make things easier. You could use a dictionary instead but it would require a special kind of dedication :sweat_smile:

GPT is even useful for learning, as well as doing. I could work with it to refine a function that could take me an hour to research using StackOverflow and various other resources - functionally it’s the same process, except now I have a personal assistant to work with.

3 Likes

I don’t use spell checkers. I like some of my…werds. :wink:

They fuck up most of the time anyways. Assuming I want Gold instead of Golf. WTF. I’m broke, I have no golf…:rofl:

I think in the future we’ll start to see people listening to models rather than “artists”. An artist can create a model that generates a certain style of music. It could be like nothing we’ve ever heard before - crazy psychoacoustics and sound design that breaks our preconceptions. One artist might just iterate a single model for years. Others might create a brand new model every month.

We could have streaming platforms that simply aggregate models. You could curate a library of your favourite models, or you could save specific “songs” that you generated from someone else’s model.

I’m the shorter term, I expect we’ll see tools that integrate increasingly well with existing software to generate or process sound, making the entire production process much faster and potentially much more interesting. Image generation tools, for example, are great at producing very derivative work, because they were trained on such a breadth of pre-existing stuff, like the ‘Artstation’ aesthetic. However, those models can also be trained on whatever data you want. The more creative artists will train models on unique sources and use AI to expand their musical vocabulary into realms that we don’t even have language for right now.

4 Likes

Spell checkers keep me from learning, and there’s nothing I can do about it.
Makes my memory less important.

3 Likes

Ah well, this is clearly a ‘different strokes’ type situation. I can’t really empathise with the idea of not using these kinds of shortcuts - it would make my days longer and reduce the valuable work I can do to things that can be completed trivially by anyone. I’d rather spend my time doing the things that only I can do.

2 Likes

100%

“AI helping people get…more stoopider”.

2 Likes

With longer days to feel insufficient that grows along with our age. Longer days to contemplate how our backs are against the wall and how it all happened.

I just don’t see working faster to be a good thing.
The internet was supposed to offer free time with convenience.
But we are slaves to it.

3 Likes

things i’d most likely prompt (that probably are already possible with a python script):

“split this 2 minute audio file into one shots split by transients above xxdb, if harmonic content is present tune them all to C.”

“analyse this 4 bar loop and create 50 rhythmic variations using the original groove based off timing of transients above xxdb, introduce some ghost hits, rolls and flams. feel free to deviate from traditional rhythms to create something not in your trained library.” (i always try this with GPT and it can never create anything “new” that surprises me… yet)

what boring tasks would you prompt?

3 Likes

Think of it less about working faster and more about freeing you up to do more valuable work.

My boss isn’t paying me to look up words in dictionaries, if that’s how I spent my days my salary would be a lot lower…

As I say though this is very much about being in a professional setting - there are a million shortcuts taken in my role every week - this is just another one added to the list.

For music it would be the ones I already mentioned tbh - stripping background noise from vocals is a good example. But yea if I could say “I have this sequence could you change the key for all 16 tracks to A minor?”. I derive no pleasure from pointing-and-clicking in Ableton doing that task manually, if I could ask it to do it for me I’d see no loss in creativity, it’s just enabled me to spend more time working on the song instead of clicking through menus and nudging piano rolls.

I also don’t agree with this tbh :slight_smile: GPT is a good example - and it’s a topic I was dicussing with some pals just yesterday. It’s helping us to improve what we do and teaching us at the same time, hell you can even ask it to explain the concept to you, “Why is this better, whats the benefit, how can I ensure I avoid this mistake in the future?” etc. Code copilots as an example, I could spend an hour trawling through StackOverflow questions, or I could ask GPT to improve my function for me - the slower method doesn’t provide a better route for learning - in fact it might even be the opposite.

Don’t close your minds off to this stuff folks - you might be surprised just how valuable it can be.

2 Likes

I did that already with the internet and I am exhausted.
I’m not really interested in turning it up to 11 right now.
I want to tell my boss, you can’t have more than it requires, it’ll be ok

2 Likes

:man_facepalming:t5:

1 Like

is that the path to your Home directory on the new Macbook?

5 Likes