Re201 issues advice

Need to get some money together ASAP. Thinking about selling my re201 space echo.

All good except when I turn it on I have to pry the tape away from the heads with a plectrum to get it to start. Been guessing it’s just down to sticky old tape. Tho it doesn’t feel sticky. It isn’t hard to pry the tape from the heads etc. Normally fine after I do that. Tho sometimes it’ll stick again later on. But prying it away again and it’s fine. Anyone with more knowledge able to confirm this is what’s going on and it’s not a motor problem or something? I’ve not changed tape or had it serviced since I got it couple years ago and don’t think it had had new tape for a while before. I kinda like the sound of the old one that’s on there so I haven’t bothered.

Any idea what I should ask/expect for it atm? Great condition generally. No other mechanical issues etc. Prices seem all over the place. Seemed to be going for like £1000 for a while. Then much less last time I looked…

Thanks

My 501 used to do this all the time too. It eventually got to the point of unusability. Got the heads cleaned and new tape put in and haven’t had any issues in a few years. Find a good local tech, should be a $50 job. I do understand though that the sound when it is almost breaking down is pretty magical too😅

2 Likes

Thanks man. Good to hear it’s nothing serious. Hard to find a tape tech in South UK but I’ll look round again. But yeah, shame to clean it all up and lose the way it sounds atm :confused:

1 Like