Re-sampling chromatic

It’s finally happened.
A question I can’t seem to find the answer to.
(That’s my way of saying thanks. This place has been a huge help so far).

I’m trying to re-sample a melody I’m playing in chromatic mode to another track.
Is this possible?

It seems like everything is set up properly.
When I re-sample another track (a loop), it works no problem.

I tried re-sampling the master track as well, nothing.
It seems like it doesn’t “hear” what I’m playing while in chromatic mode.

Is it just not possible to do this?

Edit: just tried and it definitely works. Method: T1 set to chromatic. T2 rec menu, src3 set to T1 (resampling will listen to T1). The rest can be whatever.

Hold T2 and press MIDI to start resampling from T1. Switch to T1 and jam chromatically. Hit stop, open rec buffer 2 and listen. Your jam should be recorded.

If using a rec trig instead of manual rec, hold the trig and make sure the MIDI light is on, which is equivalent to hitting midi when you record manually. This tells the rec trig to resample when it records.

1 Like

I was messing with that this weekend. Is there a reason you’re not recording the sequence and then sampling that? Are you trying to sample it live while you’re playing?

Well, you nailed it.
I was pressing the red record buttons instead of MIDI.

So it totally works this way, but I’m a little foggy on the why.
I can re-sample loops using the AB/CD record buttons.

In which situation should I use the MIDI button?

Yeah I’m trying to sample a melody line while I’m playing it.

I’m not quite sure why resampling loops would work by pressing AB/CD, in theory this only makes it record what’s coming through those inputs but maybe some combo of settings in the rec menu interferes with this. More testing needed perhaps.

You should press Track+MIDI when resampling. The track to be resampled is determined in the rec menu (1-8, cue or master). If using rec trigs, hold the rec trig and you’ll see AB/CD/MIDI are lit, and can be unlit by pressing them. The lit sources get recorded.

I’ve been there too, thinking my inputs were broken and I was just hitting the wrong AB/CD button…

1 Like

Perhaps physically send the track you’re trying to resample out of the CUE outputs and into AB and record the inputs from AB?

OT can do this without cables, just set resample source to ‘cue’ and make sure you’re hitting midi(resample) when recording :wink:

2 Likes

Awesome.
Huge help, thanks very much.

This forum is the best.

2 Likes