Rapid Flow Ableton (and now Logic Pro) Templates

I did this a while ago.
https://maxforlive.com/library/device/6850/octascenes

5 Likes

That s a really cool plugin you made thereā€¦ OT and Ableton fusionā€¦ really cool, maybe something for a V2?

1 Like

<<< UPDATE: the set works on Ableton Standard! >>>
Thanks to Untitled I have realized that if I remove the one placeholder synth from the set, it will open on Ableton Standard! had no idea, super happy for this so thank you!!

The files on https//:rapidflow.shop have been updated with template files for standard.

I have also added the explanation video in full length to YouTube so feel free to share with anyone interested. https://youtu.be/OEoSkSXK_Bs

Thank you everyone for your interest, generous support and really helpful tips! Hope this workflow will keep on growing.

Best
Erik

2 Likes

Hi is this a template that can be used with loops imported or recorded from a piece of hardware like an MPC/RYTMā€¦etc as well?I wasnā€™t sure if this is all software synth and sample based or if I can bring my own sounds.

Exactly! The loops that are there are just a starting point so you get the right levels and frequency when you bring your own samples in. Theyā€™re a mixing reference broken down into basic elements. The set definitely needs custome loops and instruments :wink:

1 Like

Ah nice! This looks like a more complete version of a toy project I did to achieve the same thing.

I made life difficult for myself by writing all the logic in Typescript - I donā€™t really know Max and didnā€™t feel like learning it haha, but in hindsight thatā€™s definitely a better way to go.

The performance gets quite slow in my version when you have a lot of stuff mapped, unsure if that is because Iā€™m using JS or hitting some M4L limitations. Itā€™s pretty rough anyway so Iā€™m glad someone made a better implementation of the idea! https://github.com/tomduncalf/livefader

1 Like

Not sure how robust/efficient my patch is, to be honest, I didnā€™t play a lot with it.
Regarding javascript in m4l, I gave up using it in anything real-time. It gets very laggy very quick.

Yep, I think youā€™re right. Going to have to bite the bullet and teach myself Max!

1 Like

I tried Kapture, but couldnĀ“t get it to automate, only been able to perform switching between the different snapshots live. So this is only a performance tool? Am I missing something here?

You could set up two settings i.e. mixer states with levels, and compare these mixes with a flip of a button, so you know which sounds better. Or have a fallback when you went astray with device settings etc.

I get that, but Iā€™d love to use it as a composition tool. For example to morph between two snapshots. One could dreamā€¦

Ok cool. I donā€™t use drum racks, I already make the loops on my hardware and just bring in to arrange and mix in ableton. So I may need to figure that out, maybe just delete the drum racks or something.

1 Like

Yeah you could do the drums as loops in channel 1 and just delete the Drum rackā€¦ Would work fine :blush:

2 Likes

Great template.
Just one remark. There a lot of noise coming from the Master track even when I stop all the tracks. It seems that it comes from the OTT module. When I switch it off, everything is ok.

Any ideas ?

1 Like

Iā€™ve noticed that too, if you have some ground noise it gets boosted by OTT, in my case I used the AR with ovebridge so having any channel on monitoring was introducing ~-80dB of noise, OTT made it really audible by boosting to ~-35dB, so I suppose you can put a gate before OTT to kill the noise or get rid of the OTT :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thx for the feedback. Happy to hear it. Weird about the Noise. I think OTT only amplifies what is there. I didnā€™t notice noise when demoing the project, but might have missed itā€¦
What happens to me sometimes is having one or multiple channels on ā€œInā€ monitoring on and then the noise builds up. What I do is reset all fader meters by pressing CTRL and one of the numerical read outs, that rested them all. Then I hunt for noise channels and adjust monitoring, plug-ins or if nothing works out a gate on that channel with long hold and releaseā€¦ hope that solves it.

itā€™s really easy to emulate, go to one of the COMPOSE tracks and throw an Echo there, doesnā€™t matter midi/audio, you can add noise from the Character tab, set it to 1% Amount, 10% Wet and watch the world burn :grimacing:

j.k., but what should be about ~-75db in noise becomes ~-40db because of the OTT

of course -80dB can come from anything, audio interface, monitoring of OB or whateverā€¦

Like your writing style my friend. It s an interesting point. Will research it and see what s possible. Guess Over The Top lives up to itā€™s name :smile:

1 Like

Just wanted to share a video I made that shows the ADPTR AB plugin which allows you to reference tracks in your production. As boring as it appears, no other plugin has had such a big positive impact on my soundā€¦ If you havenā€™t used it these 15 Mins are probably really worth your time.

2 Likes

I bought it already, its really usefull - and was on sale - really a good investment.

I might add, that a monitoring track implemented, would be a nice addition to your template, i.e. master in - some other audio out to 2nd set of monitors, or as i do it - to a mono bluetooth box, which comes cheap, just to monitor your mix in mono , and to rehearse it on a typical consumer device is really practical. (And much cheaper than an Auratone.) maybe put the A/B plugin on this , so you could really hear the tracks side by side if you wanted.

Before that - i did render put uploaded to soundcloud listen to it via phone, went back to fix the mix- having such a device as alternative on the output, is really practical.

2 Likes