Ram or CPU speed?

Hello :wave:
I’m picking out a new computer to get overbridge working. Currently own 3 overbridge machines: a DT, DN, & A4 mk1. My goal is to record all 3 at the same time.

Would it be better to buy a MacBook Air with 16gb of ram or a MacBook Pro with 8 gb of ram? Both would be the current models.

Thanks for your input!

1 Like

Not answering based on Overbridge specifically, but for a Mac, always focus on RAM first. Max it out where possible.

3 Likes

Agreed.

I have the 8 core 16” i9 and the 2020 Air with a quad i5 or i7 would be plenty with 16GB RAM. It just wasn’t available yet when I bought my 16”

The i7 Air is as fast as my 4ghz i7 iMac and I’ve never felt like that computer needed more processor.

2020 Air Bonus: less heat and no dedicated GPU means it is whisper quiet compared to the 16”
Just make sure to get the i5 or i7 as the i3 is only dual core.

Also, factor in cost of a TB3 dock since the Air only has 2 ports. You could try some MTT USB-C hubs, but a TB3 dock will give you more bandwidth for 3 OB Elektrons.
That, or wait for the 13” refresh (14”?), with 4 ports.

6 Likes

Don’t think I’ll be doing much waiting. I was hoping to purchase next month.

The good news is that neither of these choices will be a limiter on your ability to use Overbridge. Both will be way fast enough. But I agree with the thread that 16 GB RAM is a good minimum for new computers now, just for general use (more VSTs, effects, tracks, etc.).

2 Likes

Well I’ve decided to go with the new MacBook Pro with 16gb of ram! Pretty excited about it.

The only thing is it comes with usb C and I want to connect 3 machines simultaneously.

Are there any hubs with usb c connectitvity that you recommend? Thanks!!

1 Like

It has 4 ports, right? then you should be good.

The base model (which is what I’m getting) only comes with 2 ports unfortunately!

According to Elektron, the lower power MBPs with the U series intel processors (with U at the end of the processor code name) are not recommended for Overbridge…

From the OB Faq:

COMPUTER HARDWARE

• At least Intel Core i5 CPU. Ultra-Low Power CPUs like the Intel U-Series or Y-Series are generally not recommended

Hopefully it still works out for you. That said, if you still need a hub…
I use this one, as it is MTT which is great for Analog MK1s.
Most of the UGREEN hubs are not MTT, so I did a lot of research to find the one that works:

2 Likes

Ah! Didn’t see that, I should have read the FAQ more closely! Thanks for pointing it out! Looks like I’m upgrading!

Yea the 10th gen i5 13" would be the way to go, for sure.
Things changed a bit since you started this topic. :slight_smile:

Also, the FAQ was just published recently , so don’t beat yourself up about it.

1 Like

You really saved me from wasting a bunch of time and energy! Thanks :blush:

2 Likes

@AdamJay So I’ve purchased the 10gen i5 13” with 4 ports. Unfortunately that hub is out of stock now. Do the machines support a direct usb b to usb c connection? If so do you know what the best cables are?

Thank you!

The best option will be a Thunderbolt 3 dock. But Thunderbolt 3 is completely downwards compatible with USB 2.0.

I am eager to see if you are okay without a TB3 dock (the T2 chip is prioritizing other stuff rather than USB and thus there can ugly dropouts happen in the datastream)

1 Like

I’m tempted to buy a few usb b to usb c cables and find out! Really would just like to get OB working!

They do. I use these: https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Printer-Compatible-Printers-Aluminum/dp/B012V563B6

But I also like Pete Dorky’s recommendation for a TB3 hub should you have any dropout issues.
I’d start with the cables, personally. What do you plan to use as your audio interface?

1 Like

I was just going to use the internal sound card or perhaps the Digitakt for sampling. I have a Behringer fca1616, but I don’t really intend on using it right now.

1 Like

Let us know how it goes!

1 Like

Bought those cables, computer shows up between the 11th-15th! I will report back!!

Well the computer (MacBook Pro 13” i5 10th gen) arrived yesterday. Got OB installed and it detected all the machines fine.

Also downloaded the Logic Pro X free trial and set up a template (based off the Digitakt template in the FAQ), for the 3 machines(A4 mk1, DN, DT) and did a recording stress test.

I was able to record everything just fine (35 tracks) without the fans kicking on or any audio drop outs.

More stress tests to do, but so far so good!

Thanks everyone for your time and help with this project! Especially @AdamJay!

4 Likes