Radical Bits for Analog Rytm

Thank you
Yes, I checked the description on the website prior to asking here, but it doesn’t state what it really contains

1 Like

I just looked through the zip file for this. It has a pdf that says:

as well as a sysex file and 127 samples. The Rytm project in the sysex file has 4 sample patterns and 4 kits. The demo tracks on the product page sound like they are based on the sample patterns. There are 2 scenes and 2 performance macros. The samples themselves are 15 bd, 18 snare, 3 rim, 27 perc, 10 hihat, 7 noise, 20 osc, 27 synth.

I bought the pack back in 2019 and used some of the percussion samples as accent elements, but it’s been a while since I’ve loaded any of them.

3 Likes

Great to know - thank you for such a detailed breakdown!

1 Like

@scolliersmith @Ryan one more question - do you recall if provided kits / sounds are pure samples only or (hopefully) they combine it with internal analog engines (like most AR packs that I have so far)? Thanks

I believe the sounds are just samples.

The kits on the other hand i could see it going both ways(though, I’d guess those were constructed with just/mostly the samples), but at this point im just guessing

1 Like

I just took a listen through the four kits. I only found one instance where the internal analog engines was used in combination with a sample for a bass drum. There was one other sound where the impulse engine was used to create an interesting ringing filter tone, but no sample layer was used. Not all of the pads are even used by the kits. (HT and CB in particular are just the default analog engine settings in all of the kits.) The sounds in the kits do have some filtering, panning, and delay/reverb going on.

I wouldn’t purchase the sample pack with the expectation of getting a great supply of kits and ready to use sounds. It seems like the samples themselves are the focus. I think the samples are good if you’re into that crunchy, lo-fi, chiptune aesthetic and don’t already have an extensive collection of that type of thing. They are fairly well curated and organized. I find that they are not incredibly versatile, but if they fit, they can add a unique element to a track. I think that you would need to take the time to make your own kits out of the samples to really take advantage of them.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thank you! That was super helpful
I have a large collection of samples (Samples from Mars, different Elektron packs etc.) as I owned Digitakt for some years already - so no point in buying this for this purpose only as I covered in the lo-fi area :slight_smile:

Now I just bought Rytm and I’m mostly interested in packs that provide good ready-to-go kits (with scenes / perf etc.), but I don’t want to use samples only packs (like e.g “Run The Track” and maybe some others).
There’s a lot of packs that do use internal analog engines, but here the issue is that most of them were released in pre 1.30 firmware era so they’re not utilizing all “new” machines.

I think the ones that I figured were released after 1.30 (and are not samples-only) were Radical Bits and Dalek Soundscapes (BTW - perhaps you have experience with this pack as well?)