QuNeo to midicontrol MD/OT/A4

Hello,

does somebody use QuNeo to control Elektron Gears ? What kind of interesting scope of possibilities was experienced with this controler ?

Thank you

Hum…

Templates are being made for Quneo/MD
I just got the Qunexus for MnM… There are downloadable templates for that combo!

[font=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=28&func=view&id=234149&catid=18

Thanks DaffyDub. I didn’t found templates for MD on the web. Only MnM templates like the one you’re talking about.
Btw I purchased one QuNeo a will try to make my own templates

Rank - did you ever get around to those templates by chance?

Bump…

Just got a quNeo to go with my quNexus.
quNexus is already great with factory presets on the Analog Four, but I have no idea how to map the quNeo for either the Octatrack or the MachineDrum.

Any ideas ?

PS: I got both connected at the same time using a Raspberry Pi setup for USB-MIDI to DIN MIDI convertion for less than the price of a Kenton USB MIDI convertor, in case anyone is interested.
I’ll swap advice to setup the RasPi against ideas on the quNeo-MachineDrum combo :wink:

I am getting my MD soon and will be tinkering with a Quneo midi mapping setup. Have you made any head way on this? I love midi mapping shit, so I’ll be it out pretty quick hehe. Any info on that Raspberry Pi Midi-US to MIDI-DIN?

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/rpi-midi-bridge-idea/
Now I haven’t used this for at least a year.
I had everything working, but had to manually configure the Pi every time I rebooted the Pi or wanted to change the connexions (different USB devices, for example, or different MIDI routing.
I thought about writing scripts to automate the connexions so I wouldn’t need to manually setup everything, but got side tracked and am now thinking about buying an iConnectMIDI4+ instead…
Though I might still find the time to code a little something if I’m not the only one interested…

Any updates?

Heres’s how I got the RPi MIDI host working. It provides 3 USB (RPi2) to two DIN midi in/outs (MidiSport 2X2). It will work with QuNeo as well, but here I am plugging in a QuNexus and a MidiSport 2x2 into the RPi and routing the MIDI information from the QuNexus to MIDI Port A Out on the MidiSport. The RPi is powering both devices. I’m pretty sure you could use one of those cheap midi/USB cable interfaces too.

Starting with a stock RPi, powered on, running Raspbian Jessie and connected to network/internet.

Either pull up the terminal on the RPi or ssh into it over a network.

Plug in both devices into the USB ports on the RPi

I needed the driver for my MidiSport so I had to use the command:

sudo apt-get install midisport-firmware

to download and install the driver. The QuNexus is class compliant so it works as-is.

type:

aconnect -o

to see the output devices connected to the RPi.
you should see client numbers followed by the names of the devices.
I have something like:

client 20: ‘QuNexus’
client 24: ‘MidiSport 2x2’

type:

aconnect ‘QuNexus’:0 ‘MidiSport 2x2’:0

this tells aconnect to send midi from QuNexus port 1 to MidiSport port 1
you could also type:

aconnect 20:0 24:0

This uses the client numbers from above to do the same.
play some notes and it should be working. The first problem is that every time you startup the RPi, you will have to re-connect the devices using aconnect. This is fixed by writing a bash script with the same aconnect command and set it to run at startup. Here’s an example of my bash script:

#!/bin/bash
aconnect ‘QuNexus’:0 ‘MidiSport 2x2’:0

Here is a link that shows how to set the script to run at startup:

http://www.raspberry-projects.com/pi/pi-operating-systems/raspbian/scripts

The next challenge is to make your midi devices “hot pluggable” meaning that if something is plugged in, the RPi will auto detect and make the connections. To do this you have to set what are called udev rules. A udev rule does something (like run a bash script) when an event (like plugging in a USB device) happens. Here is an example of one of my udev rules:

SUBSYSTEM==“usb”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“1f38”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“001e”, ACTION==“add”, RUN+="/usr/local/bin/script_auto_run"

The idVendor and idProduct are what identifies your USB device and the RUN+= is the path to the bash script above. To find your vendor and product id’s use the command:

lsusb

to list USB devices that are connected. I ran this command, took a screenshot then plugged in my OuNexus so I could see what changed in the list. I have actually set up a Logidy foot controller, a Launch Control XL and a QuNeo to be connected at the same time. All going through the RPi to the MidiSport then DIN MIDI to the OT. Just add an aconnect line for each device in the bash script and make a udev rule for each. The link below will show you how to setup the udev rules:

https://savourypi.wordpress.com/how-tos/manage-usb-midi-devices-2-auto-detect-upon-connection/

I hope this helps.

2 Likes