Quickly mute/disable Rytm Mk1 when linked via Overbridge in DAW

Hi, I cannot seem to find any discussion about a pragmatic solution to quickly mute/disable my Rytm Mk1 when synced to my DAW (Cubase) via Overbridge.

Everything is fine otherwise - I can record all tracks via Overbridge, and monitoring of the DAW audio tracks works, playing back perfectly on the Headphone out of the Rytm.

However, sometimes I would like to mute (or unsync) the Rytm so I can play back some DAW tracks without the Rytm playing along. Is there a way? Currently I just mute all tracks on the Rytm, but I was wondering if there’s a quicker way. Thanks!

One possible solution would be to route all incoming Rytm tracks in your DAW into a group track (sometimes also called bus track depending on your DAW). By muting the bus you mute all Rytm tracks at once.

1 Like

Good catch, thank you! That indeed seems to work for all tracks, but not for the Main stereo mix, that continues playing despite the group being muted.

What DAW are you using? There has to be some kind of routing option that routes the tracks EXCLUSIVELY to the bus track (which is then routed to the master out). In your case it seems like the tracks are routed to the master out AND the bus track (which is a way to apply FX to a group of tracks while mixing). Muting the bus then still lets your hear the stereo mix of the tracks

Cubase Pro 13. The Rytm Overbridge tracks are routed to a Group and their muting works just fine, except for the first track, Rytm’s summed L/R output channel (“Main mix” in the screenshot), which does not follow the Group settings. Maybe it’s programmed differently in Overbridge or something.

not familiar with Cubase but is the piano icon means it’s VST/midi track?
theoretically you can mute the plugin and use audio track for the main out too, it should mute like every other track, just mute the audio

something like this (the left track is the only midi track with OB plugin, the rest are audio tracks that take routing from it and grouped)

Yes, it’s a VST track, as the Overbridge Rytm plugin is a VSTi. I think I already tried muting everything but will try again tonight. Note that in this scenario I use the audio output on the Rytm (headphones). I suspect Elektron somehow hard-wired the L/R/headphone outputs to prevent them from getting muted from a DAW.

indeed the OB cannot mute the headphones/physical mains on rytm, audio will always come through, if what you mean is to mute the rytm while using it’s headphones or main out you can’t do that, you’d need to mute the tracks, like the physical tracks on rytm, otherwise you’ll always hear it play.
theoretically you can mute them with a midi macro, like sending mute via midi to all tracks, but not sure how to do that with cubase…
or you could setup a scene where all amp levels go to 0…

1 Like

That was my assumption exactly. Not a biggie, I can indeed simply physically mute the tracks on the Rytm itself whenever needed, or have one scene with all tracks on mute, or even temporarily switch to an empty pattern. And the DAW audio then still comes though. Thanks for confirming!

1 Like