Question on Chords in DN

If I want to put in chords on the Digitone and get something started with the default chords, like a cmin7. If I want to change that chord and add a 9th or 13th or whatever is it safe to say that I should not do that in Chord mode and just jam in scale mode and add notes?

When I add a note now the chord is gone and it’s just one note. So to me that means that I should program the min7 in by note and just add more notes as I need, and not mess with the little chorder shortcut. Is this correct?

1 Like

Maybe this will help if you’re looking to build custom chord voicings:

While in record mode, place a trig. While holding the trig, press the ADD NOTES/ARP button. From there, you’ll be able to populate the chord of your choice with whatever notes you wish. Once you’ve built your chord, either hit YES or ADD NOTES/ARP, and your trig will now contain the chord.

4 Likes

Steels is correct if you know what chord you want to add from the beginning that’s probably the best way to do it, but it’s my understanding that in chord mode you’ll be adding another chord over the top of your chord or if a chord was placed in chord mode and you go to add a single note the single note will be played over the top. What you might be able to do though is in grid recording mode, edit your trig by pressing the trig you want to edit (where the chord is placed) plus the track note button (looks like a note) and it will bring up the track note menu. You should see the notes recorded on that step and be able to edit or add a note, I’m not positive the chord notes carry over from what you entered in chord mode but it probably does because it’s ultimately note data, I just haven’t done it that way so you’ll have to try it out. Only press yes if you want to keep the changes you made and exit from there, press NO if you want to discard changes like you decide you changed your mind about the edit.

3 Likes

Ok thanks folks. Yeah I kind of like to get a motif going with root note progressions and then I can hit the trig and I think in that mode where you can add notes, it will let me jam on the keyboard a bit or at least punch notes in and audition them.

I basically write chords by making the triads and then auditioning the extensions, just going by ear. I also like to mess with inversions and audition those. So whatever way I am do that will be great. I just wasn’t sure of the possibilities. I definitely am not going to use the preset chords and would rather use a scale or chromatic mode.

2 Likes

I can actually relate to that a lot. Sometimes I don’t know what I want to hear until I actually hear it. I’m, unfortunately, not beethoven in my composition styles but when I hear it, I know what I want.

If you’re having trouble auditioning notes (I think you could do it with recording mode off but you’ll find out for yourself) but if there’s an issue, sometimes I just take a third wheel autonomous keyboard and play notes from it over the top of a chord just to get the vibe of what the different intervals will sound like.

2 Likes

Yeah perfect. Another thing that is cool about the DN is the default sine wavs sound good enough for me to compose an idea and then I can let the sequence run and design the sound. It’s kind of like starting with an acoustic guitar and then adding a bunch of effects or something. So thats why I want to figure out the chord workflow first and then I can dive into sound design. I also think I can scroll through presets while the sequence plays, which is also a great way to get ideas quickly.

3 Likes

This is probably the fourth time I’ve said it but it’s so inconvenient that there is a limit on likes that you can give out in a day. I really need to talk to someone about this because that’s a really good way to look at it.

Feel like I’m shirking my duty to give love lol.

3 Likes

I do the same :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I found this video that is super helpful and only 8 seconds long.

3 Likes