Question: Hacking MPE / Poly AT for multitimbrality

After reading about the MPE implemenation on my OB6 being channel per voice I started wondering if you could hack it to turn it into a multitimbral synth via keyboard splits or multiple midi tracks (and do the same for any synth that takes MPE / Poly AT).

My Digitakt is in for repair at the moment so can’t try that easily for the multi track stuff but before I spend days working it out on my Midihub I wondered if you could technically:

• Send each of the six voices a different midi stream to get six monosynths
  • Manually send a specific MPE message to each voice along with each note (the OB6 allows for filter cut off and pulse width via MPE)
  • Poly aftertouch itself has more destinations (VC01 freq, VC02 freq, LFO amount, Filter cut off, Amp env) so you could send an aftertouch MIDI message with each one as well. VCO2 freq is especially useful as that can be used as a per-voice LFO with many other modulations.

Has anyone tried such silliness or got some pointers for getting it working? Mostly want to do it to show it can be done and doing ridiculous things with MIDI is turning into a hobby. Doing it on a Dave Smith synth is even more fun.

2 Likes