Quantizing a hi-hat at 1/32

I might be missing something obvious here, but how do I go about recording and quantizing a hi-hat, say doing a sort of jazz style? Meaning some hits are just. fast and I want to quantize at 1/32.

I’ve seen some posts here that talk about track scale, but if I set it at e.g. 1/2 everything just goes all over the place.

And using the quantize menu it just does a standar quantizing at 1/16, which just removes the faster hits.

Any ideas?

As always, many thanks in advance!

Retrigs. Hold a Step, press the Up arrow, you’ll see a Menu.

1 Like

You should try 2x.

3 Likes

Tried that, didn’t work either :pensive:

How’s that? If you’re trying to get 32nd notes they are twice as fast as 16th notes, so setting scale to 2x is one way to get them on your sequencer, as is using the retrig menu, where you can have individual notes retriggered at various speeds and for varying lengths of your choosing.

1 Like

What didn’t work? Track scale or retrig?

Retrig is the obvious choice for 1/32th notes.

1 Like

ViolentMeals and Nils, thanks for your input.
While track scale works to record the notes unquantized, it still gets messed up if I either try to record quantize or use the quantize menu after recording. I tried 2x and even 4x, same result.
Does that make sense?
Retrig seems like a good tool if I just want to a double, quadruple, etc. hit on a single trig.

This doesn’t exist.

1 Like

oh shoot you’re right, fake news :joy:
I don’t know why in my mind I had done that. Some sort of wishful thinking

1 Like

No.
If you’re setting the track scale to 2x and you are inputting the notes in grid record mode, the notes are quantized.
Are you trying to live record them?
Have you experimented with moving the notes off grid by holding g the trig and pushing Left arrow or right arrow?

I would go with Violentmeals’ suggestion and enter the notes in grid recording mode, at 2X speed. Then all notes will be quantized to a 1/32th note grid.

If you find that confusing, try the retrig function; hold the note you want to retrig, press the UP arrow and this menu will appear:

Turning encoder A will activate retrig for that step. Encoder E sets the retrig speed, eg 1/32th note.

1 Like

yes exactly, I’m trying to live record them.
Maybe it’s unnecessary and I should just use grid record mode. Thought it’d be nice though to have the possibility to live record and quantize properly.
I didn’t try moving the notes off grid, as the general idea was to just play a sequence and try to quantize it all, vs. altering one or two specific notes.

Thanks Nils, I see that with the Syntakt it’s about finding the best method, e.g. here just using grid mode, vs. recording and quantizing, which is what I’m used to on the daw. I’m still new to it, so I guess it’s I have to adapt my methods a bit :slight_smile:

1 Like

Doubling the tempo of the pattern should work? You can still put other tracks in 1/2 for 16th notes, but it will quantize to 32th notes (or to 1 step)

Are you kind of “finger drumming” those notes?

If so, duplicate the track at 2x speed (as explained before) and use your two hands to record using the two tracks at three same time, one track for each hand.

Now you have a combined resolution of 64 now trigging events per 4 beat bar, for example.

True, although it wouldn’t be ideal having two tracks for hats and having to shape and recordings separately. Thanks for the idea though :slight_smile:

1 Like

You mean setting it to 2x Speed right? I tried that. Although it works in record unquantized mode, it simply doesn’t quantize correctly, either by recording quantized or using the quantize option afterwards. Don’t really get why, it should!

You could double the bpm though…

1 Like

No, I mean doubling the bpm of the pattern, which will make each step 1/32th. It will quantize exactly as you want. And if you prefer to use 16th notes for the other tracks, put those at 1/2 speed…