Push Turn Move book

Suprised this hasn’t been posted here yet, it’s a kickstarter for a book about “all kinds of electronic music interface design”

"The essence of PUSH TURN MOVE is to celebrate innovative interface designs, provide a categorization of gear and explore the functional, artistic, philosophical and aesthetic world of user interfaces in the context of making and performing of electronic music.

Exclusive interviews with: Roger Linn, Dave Smith, Keith McMillen, Richard Devine, Suzanne Ciani, Olivier Gillet, Ean Golden, Brian Crabtree (Monome), Matt Moldover, Axel Hartmann, Dorit Chrysler, DiViNCi, Skinnerbox, Native Instruments, Ableton, Teenage Engineering, Roland, Elektron and many more."

Definately has my interest.

4 Likes

ok. why putting this on Kickstarter if its already … ready?! ^^ Does he wanna sell it there? That wont work; Kickstarter would remove it because its finished already.

And if its not finished and the book is just a concept art … he’s really optimistic to get all those companies telling him the stories he needs :wink: I would get a digital version though. Sounds not too uninteresting; some lecture for the breaks in between the work :slight_smile:

There is more in depth information when you sign up for the newsletter. In tbe intro newsletter it is stated that the book is about 2/3 written and backing is needed to get to the publishing stage, and backers of course get a reduced price on the book. Also they are looking for feeback on what sort of content you would like to see in the book. It seems like a worthy effort and worth supporting to me.

3 Likes

I wonder how much it will be? Looks interesting as a historical reference journal more than anything. Goes live in under 4 hours.

its live now, about 40 euro

1 Like

The makers of Push Turn Move announced a new book focused on eurorack:
Patch & Tweak

Has anyone the previous book and can tell me if its worth it? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Awesome! I have and really dig Push Turn Move and I will definitely be getting this.

1 Like

Push Turn Move is an expensive but very beautifkl book.

I dont regret buying mine, and I will buy the new book as well.

2 Likes

Ordered both books for myself finally. I’ve drooled after them for quite a while now. Quite expensive but I hope worth the money. (Bought Patch & Tweak too even though I’m not in the least interested in buying/collecting modular synths. I guess I’m a completist in that sense.)

Kim Bjørn also has a new book in the series coming out in the fall. It’s about stompboxes/guitar pedals. Need to have that one too.

1 Like

Aaaaaand…staying on the topic of coffee table books on synths/electronic music equipment.
This is a good one. I bought the special edition with a cassette and a 7" single.

3 Likes

Also if you are bored you can read this drummachine pattern book from the 80s

I’ve copied the patterns it’s crazy how good they still work on a DAW or drum machine

2 Likes

Where did you buy that book online by the way?

You mean Beat Box or the Kim Bjørn books?

The Beat Box -book I accidentally found in my local recordstore a couple of years back when I went there to buy some thrashmetal vinyls. The Kim Bjørn bibliography suddenly appeared in a Helsinki electronics/guitar pedal store UralTone’s web shop. Haven’t seen them for sale anywhere else here in Finland.

https://www.uraltone.com/patch-tweak-exploring-modular-synthesis-by-kim-bjorn-chris-meyer.html

1 Like

I’m looking for beat box. I’ll go to consignment book stores and will eventually find it

1 Like

I’ve been eyeing the Push Turn Move book for quite a long time, and more now with a recent update… have any of you got it? Is it really worth +$60? I’m almost sure it is (I work on field related to UX design on devices for a start), but willing to get some more opinions over here about the depth of the content and the interviews…
BTW: How about the Daniel Troberg interview included? AFAIK he was involved on the Octatrack and some other products and really curious to understand the thinking behind those designs…

I’m not unbiased here but I’d definitely say the book is great value for money.