Push 3 Users Thread

How do you sample stuff from youtube…etc? I agree that blackhole can be a pain.

I could imagine Chiral being on the hit list as that’s mpe in’it.

Anyway this will be an interesting thread to follow, hats off to the early adopters

1 Like

:upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Sorry I meant internally via loopback but this just gave me another nice little workflow for the standalone push.

yup - old school cabling - not as elegant but at least its predictable and doesnt break when you do an os update.

3 Likes

I would highly recommend the Pittsburgh Modular Taiga. It is such a great starter Eurorack synth and can be removed from its case and easily mounted into a standard eurorack case if you choose.

3 oscillators with wavefolding, mixer that can be overdriven, preamp that can be overdriven. Multimode filter, Low Pass Gate, analog BBD delay… also has utilities like a Mixer/ Mult, S&H, LFO, two envelopes…

It’s a beast, my personal favorite semi modular right now.

I’ve used it with Push 2 using midi to control the notes and sending midi Mod Wheel data out the mod out of the Midi module on the Pittsburgh. And then using CV tools to modulate other parameters.

I’d also recommend the Arturia Minibrute 2S as a cheaper alternative but it’s quite big for what it is as a synth, but you can connect a rack brute to it for easy module expansion. The Moog semi Modules are also great. But outside of Behringer (which I personally do not support) I don’t think you’ll get more for your money than what the Taiga offers right now. With its LPG and Low Pass Filter you can easily self patch two complete synth voices if you want.

Sorry, went a bit long for the post but yeah, I can’t wait to get the Push 3 sending out CV to my rack. Just hope Ableton adds external audio interface support sooner than later. I want to use my ES-9 with the Push.

3 Likes

I got on really well with Soundflower but it’s Intel only. Blackhole essentially does the same thing but I just couldn’t get it going and was in a rush anyway so cables it was!

Next test will be using MBP, Push 3 and OP1F together and working out a flow I like with them

1 Like

Is the internal OS file structure accessable via USB or something? I‘m specifically interested if there are python scripts for the hardware configuration.
I decompiled them for Push 2 to turn off the white LEDs. They are like a sun at night.
If this is not possible with Push 3 I might not buy it.

any chances of you opening it up and showing us the internals that are upgradeable?
perticularly the battery area and if that can handle something larger than factory?

There’s a setting to turn the leds to quite a dim level.

Hi, I expected this, but I really want to turn off those white LEDs. Works well with my Push 2

I just bought SoundSource for a few reasons.
It was 30 something dollars.
It’s really useful for routing audio between apps, browsers, output, etc.
Dead easy to use.
I wanted something to route audio to different places from different browsers, and software.
Works really good for that kind of thing.

1 Like

On my Mac once you put it in “Control Live” mode it shows up as an audio device, but not as a mountable volume.

Clearly there’s a file system that Ableton can access when you connect it through Live, but that’s not accessible from the Finder or Disk Utility on MacOS. When you browse it through Live you see Projects, User Library, etc but no particular indication of config files.

Once my 30-day return window is past, and if I’ve decided to keep it, I may try and mount it from a Linux box and sniff the USB port, but until then I’ll leave it to a less risk averse early adopter.

Anybody report the round trip latency of the SA yet? I would be interested to know at various buffet sizes…

edit: haha, BUFFER!

2 Likes

It ranges from ‘All-You-Can-Eat’ to ‘Cheeseburger In Paradise’. :wink:

8 Likes

very quick play shows that Dot, Box, Pop, and Lux all work in Standalone, but Pop might be missing the Harmonics parameter.

Kudos to @ess and Fors for the quick update! I’ll provide an update tomorrow after more time with it if people are interested.

8 Likes

Does anybody else have a noisy headphone output when power is plugged in? it seems to go away when its unplugged and on battery. It’s not hiss, but more of a crosstalk type sound. I have tried a few different power outlets and even used a one those hum eliminators with no luck. Main outputs sound fine

(Hi! Didn’t know about the user thread, so I’m reposting this here and deleting it there:)

First feedback! Got the standalone version. I have only tested it using internal instruments and FXs yet. Haven’t tested the audio interface or external midi. Didn’t read the manual yet so it’s just a first contact.

It’s pretty rad but somehow also clunky. I often find myself looking at screens but acting on views that are underneath. There are several ways to do the same thing which can be a good thing but is also not very streamlined. Note editing is clunky too, didn’t find how to get to a note quickly in a long sequence (tried shift and rotating encoder as for Elektron but didn’t work… :D). Startup time is 40s which is not great, not terrible.

It’s my first MPE device and it’s less of a big deal than what I thought it would be. I use a lot of slides and slow pitch bends in my music, but often only on monophonic leads. I also like to do orchestral stuff but in the end:

• When playing a chord you can use MPE to add a vibrato, but it doesn’t differ much from using a pitch bend wheel (except for some more detune) because, well, when you shake your hand all fingers kinda follow the same direction…
  • You can play two parts at the same time (sliding bass cello, and sliding two octaves up), but it’s not that useful as opposed to recording them separately
  • The repeat implementation seems disappointing with MPE: when you slide, repeats are done on the base note instead of following the finger (maybe this behavior can be changed but I didn’t yet find how), which renders it useless
  • The included Spitfire MPE pack is nice but not great, a bit of a loss leader

I also had several issues:

• in one occasion (recording new notes in an existing clip) the pads weren’t responding anymore (I thought I had locked them and maybe I did - I don’t know if it’s even a feature -, but rebooting the device fixed the issue)
  • clicking help rendered the device unusable (asked to consult Live on a computer and I didn’t find how to get back), but it’s not really important
  • some graphical glitches here and there with multiple overlays

All in one a pleasant experience. Some included synths sounds and drum kits are great (never really used them before because I’ve got lots of vsts…), there is a lot of depth. Never had a standalone machine that powerful. Yet I get the feeling it’s somehow too powerful for its own good (and maybe for mine). The test continues!

5 Likes

So how do you sample? Do you have to record onto one audio track but how do you get the sample into Simpler or Sampler?

Yes, you can just sample into any Audi track slot. And then you can use Convert to load the recorded sample into the Simpler.

Convert Audio Options.

Converting the audio to Simpler adds the audio clip into a new Simpler device.

Converting the audio to a Drum Pad adds the audio clip into a new Drum Rack on the first pad.

You can also convert audio into MIDI notes using the Audio to MIDI methods: Harmony-MIDI, Melody-MIDI, or Drums-MIDI.

Harmony-MIDI – The pitches in a polyphonic audio clip are identified and converted into MIDI notes, and the audio is replaced with an Instrument Rack containing a piano preset (which can be swapped out for any other instrument as needed). This option works best for harmonic instruments like guitar and piano.

Melody-MIDI – The pitches in a monophonic audio clip are identified and converted into MIDI notes, and the audio is replaced with an Instrument Rack containing a synth preset (which can be swapped out for any other instrument as needed). This option works best for vocal clips or soloed instrument samples.

Drums-MIDI – The rhythms from unpitched percussive audio are identified and converted into MIDI notes, and the audio is replaced with a Drum Rack containing a 606 Core Kit preset (which can be swapped out for any other drum kit as needed). This option works best for recorded breakbeats or beatboxing clips.

Note that the Audio to MIDI options are not available in the Live Intro edition.

11 Likes