Push 3 Users Thread

Really depends on the instrument. In Wavetable for instance you can (almost everything is MPE enabled) but in Drift, you can’t (fixed, very limited set of parameters that can be a target).
The MPE control midi fx is just a utility that allows to refine the curves of the incoming MPE data.

2 Likes

Oh. OK. These limitations make little sense. As everything can be targeted as a macro, I can’t see why MPE can’t be redirected to any macro :thinking:

2 Likes

Thank! It is beta, after all :slight_smile:

Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseam, but it’s a looong thread, and I haven’t really seen any deep comparisons on youtube…Is there anything the Octatrack can do that the Push 3 can’t? I’m thinking the performance/slider is pretty unreplacable. And I love the form factor of the Octa (size, weight, ergonomics and placement of components) and if a mk3 came, I would go to Sweden and stand in line for a week to get my hands on one.
But…the effects are really starting to show their age. The sampling rate, memory etc, likewise. The Push can seemingly sample, slice, mangle and parameter lock similarly, and has better effects, far more forward compatibility/flexibility in addition to synths, max for live etc. Not wanting to start a war here, just genuinely interested.

1 Like

But it does totally make sense. Macros can target anything but they are global and not per voice.
To make a parameter MPEable, you need to track each voice with its MPE data and process each instance accordingly.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s kind of where I’m at. I have the Push 3, but it still feels kind of quirky to me. But I’m thinking I just need to invest the time, and try to not get distracted by the bling, bells and whistles…

I’m still stumped on how to get MIDI out. My Push’s TRS MIDI’s are connected to my mioXM MIDI hub and double-checked. I create a MIDI track and add an External Device to it. Under the device’s “MIDI To” I select “Ableton Push 3 User Port” . In Settings>MIDI, I set both Input and Output to Ableton Push 3 User Port. When I tap a pad, the green arrow at the upper right of the Settings page representing MIDI output responds, but no activity registers on my mioXM. I mess with channel selection, but no dice.

I have also tried MIDI To = “ToPush”, but then the green arrow doesn’t respond. I might have thought External Port makes more sense, but it’s not an option under “MIDI To.” I tried it anyway, but the behavior’s the same. FWIW, the string “External Port” doesn’t exist in the Push 3 manual. What am I missing?

Anyway I want to thank you for this discussion because it gave me an interesting idea with m4l that will probably keep me busy for a while….

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up! I was jamming on an idea in the beta 12 last night and went to save and noticed they have disabled saving. Keep that in mind when using SA beta 12. No saving!

Edit: you can save

But the macro could accept MPE. As any MIDI parameter.

Do you have the correct polarity midi cables/adapters?

1 Like

That sounds like an activation/licensing issue, not a limitation built into the beta.

1 Like

When you are in the Settings->MIDI section and to got Output, the list you are given isnt to simply select one from. Its made to work the same way as Push settings page on a computer works - providing toggles for each MIDI interface, ie whether each of those interfaces are available for Track, Sync, Remote. So if you go to, for example, ‘Ableton Push 3 External Port’ in that settings output list, you then need to use the buttons above the screen to enable stuff like ‘Track’. When that is enabled, you will then see that External port listed in your External Instrument device settings!

By the way I dont have anything connected to the jack MIDI ports on my Push 3 right now so I cant actually confirm which interface is the right one to use, but External would make logical sense (On my setup I am using MIDI out by plugging USB MIDI stuff into the USB host port on the Push 3, and it then shows up in these lists under whatever name that USB MIDI device calls itself, and is enabled in the same way that I already described)

2 Likes

Having now checked this on my unit, it was authorise like I suggested earlier. You need to add the code they give you to your account, then in the settings on the Push 3 itself, you need to use the authorize button on the Settings->Software page and follow the steps.

1 Like

Here are my settings, it controls my external stuff just fine like this.

1 Like

Same here.
I think it needs authorized but I have no license for Ableton 12 yet.
I have flat red them asking for one.

They provide a serial code for you on the same centercode page that the Push 3 12 beta file is downloaded from. You need to add that code to your account via the normal ableton website, then authroize the Push 3 using the button inside Push 3 settings.

I think it is a bug when switching from non-beta to beta release (or vice versa). I also discovered that and had to reset the unit with a the fun downloading and re-installing plenty of packs.

Cheers.
That worked. Authorized Live 12 on my Push and on my mac.
Save is working on push now too.