Push 3 Users Thread

How… have I missed this. :sweat_smile: Is there a way to set it as the default for new clips?

I think you can set it in prefs as default behavior, it’s been my standard setting for years

It’s really hard to put my finger on it. I like some of the demos I’ve heard of it, but it takes me comparably less work for me to get sounds that work for me out of other synths (hardware or software). Would I be able to tell in the mix if someone else used it? No. I’m sure someone here is going to make a track primarily using drift and it will blow my mind. It’s just not a tool that I enjoy using right now. That could change in the future though.

I can’t wait until everyone else is tired of these facial expressions thumbnails that it requires a change in YTs algorithms. I’m guessing another year or two?

What I’m more interested in is videos like the one from Ned Rush. Never heard of the guy before, but the Patreon list shows I’m the odd one out here. Still, that was a clever way of utilizing push’s pads.

It may not have come together as a great song in the end, but Rush’s video was inspiring.

5 Likes

Moved my thought👊🏼

2 Likes

This is the ‘Users Thread’, so maybe relocate this shipping speculation business to the general Push 3 thread:

2 Likes

I think you quoted the wrong thing here.

I updated the link. Is that good? I wasn’t intentionally quoting you, just grabbing the URL at the top of the page to show where the other thread is, and I think because you were the most recent post it quoted you.

2 Likes

Cool, can’t wait to try it.

1 Like

How stable are people finding the new Push 3 beta to be? Any issues in Standalone or Controller mode? Any issues with Live?

I have jammed for a little over an hour on the newest beta and no significant issues have cropped up so far. Standalone only.

2 Likes

+1, seems as stable as the normie.

1 Like

+2

More stable than the public release

1 Like

@Fabitwo linked a good article to better understand what Push was designed for (short version, as an extension of Drum Racks): Is Ableton Push 3 really a timeless instrument for a new generation?

Nothing is ever going to satisfy all use cases, but especially if you don’t like working in Live. I don’t see Push 3 Controller version as being that magical thing that changes your mind.

Push 2 basically augmented the Live workflow as a performance tool and an instrument, but it didn’t replace the mouse and keyboard for everything.
Push 3 controller is a hardware upgrade over Push 2, but currently, Push 3 controller doesn’t change the workflow over Push 2 (unless you consider MPE a workflow change).

I think that’s a big reason I like the separate thread here: Push 3 controller version versus Push 2

I still don’t see an arrangement view in Push 3. I think that would be shoehorning Live into a controller, but I do think they’ll need to natively add a song mode similar to what Elektron has done with Digitakt & Syntakt. I also think there needs to be a way to export tracks/sets without needing Live first.

Standalone at the moment is still pretty much the same workflow as Push 2/3 but it’s untethered from the computer. While I don’t think someone should judge a product on features that they hope will come in the future, despite not knowing what’s coming, I see the separate development (and separate public beta) of Standalone as a very encouraging sign.

To me, it means that it’s very likely that options/capabilities will begin to diverge in directions that make Standalone far more independent from Live.

2 Likes

Ableton have not forgotten about me nor did they need prompted. Email received to let me know my replacement usb cable has been despatched.

Not expecting it to really change anything but hopefully it at least works!

It’s a shame P3 doesn’t pass through power over usbc. That would’ve been a solid option and would keep my cabling/spaghetti mess limited.

4 Likes

Ha, that’s me.

Hey wait are you elbows over there? Small world…

I seem to remember his being sold on Reverb for $2700…

Yes, hello!

So far the latest beta with firmware update does seem to have cured my touchstrip issue :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Regarding screen brightness, the Push 3 largely uses the same communication method as the Push 2, which means that there are sysex commands which can be used to adjust the screen brightness. So you could achieve it by sending that sysex or in theory someone could write a utility app to turn the screen brightness all the way down without Live running. https://github.com/Ableton/push-interface/blob/master/doc/AbletonPush2MIDIDisplayInterface.asc#Display%20Backlight

As for slides, the pads are behaving a bit differently for me with the latest beta installed. I have not done a thorough evaluation but at one moment it did seem to me that this may have made a difference to how easily we can do slides rather than suffer unintended note triggers. But it is way too early for me to really make this claim safely. I’d be interested in other peoples experiences of this with latest beta.

3 Likes

I put together a video tutorial on how to use external effects with Push3 Standalone if anyone is interested (routing has to be setup on a computer with current firmware)

6 Likes