Push 3 standalone VS Octatrack MK2

The speed of workflow is a huge factor for me on the OT and yeah I definitely noticed the lack in speed on the YT vids for Push 3.

1 Like

What? Its now 1599ā‚¬? What is my AE Edition now?:joy: Guys this is all Nuts.

As far as one or the other. I would not compare them. You make different music with different instruments. The OT can do less but forces a certain style lets say (while pretty open) so does the push and also the push stuff sounds polished to my ears a certain way.

Yes, 1599 from elektron.se.

The push stuff sounds polished means nothing. (nothing personal).

2 Likes

Of course it means nothing, its subjektive. You can do almost everything with this thing.

1 Like

Noticed that too, but all the ones I watched all said that theyā€™ve been using the Push for a little over a week, and so they arenā€™t used to the workflow.

The workflow on might never be as quick as an OT, but the workflow on an OT will never be as quick as Fredā€™s lab Buzzy. The more things you add, the more options you will have to choose from.

It is the nature of having more to choose from. Even though it is jampacked with features and options, I donā€™t think that will be a problem. As you get used to it, like with everything else, it will go quick.

Iā€™m not sure theyā€™re that comparable really. You might be someone that would rather use Ableton than an OT to do your sampling work but I donā€™t think much has changed with the Push 3, you just donā€™t need a laptop anymore. If thatā€™s all that was holding you back from using it then I guess itā€™s viable otherwise itā€™s just Ableton vs OT which is like comparing Apples and Oranges - theyā€™re both fruits but thatā€™s about it.

2 Likes

Owning only A4 and AR, it seems that I have absolutely no idea what the OT can do, if this is actually a question coming up ā€¦?

Its just a good sampler with a good sequencer really

Itā€™s also a performance mixer with two stereo ins and cue outs - Push3 has MPE and more direct polyphony, built in synths etc. Theyā€™re quite hard to compare it really depends on what you want to do - I think thatā€™s why itā€™s not really a comparison. If you need one of the things that either does then it rules the other out.

3 Likes

How good as a direct sampling machine is Push? Plug something in and record? And then you are in the Simpler instrument right or do you record into clips? Whats the standard there?

I guess that technically you could approach it a few different ways - I donā€™t personally think itā€™d be as good working on the Push - Ableton is very powerful but its sampling tools have limitations just like the OT, in some areas more limitations, in others less. It would be a lot less direct and for doing the actual work I think youā€™d want to be using a keyboard and mouse with a computer, or at least I would. The standalone aspect becomes useful for performance I think rather than composition. Maybe I didnā€™t spend enough time with the Push2 but I didnā€™t gel with it, felt clunky to me and they donā€™t seem to have changed any of the workflow itself, but Iā€™ve not watched all the demo vids so I could be wrong there.

all of those questions get answered here:

quick answer: YES

2 Likes

This is what I remember from push 2 which I had years ago, that sampling was just not fast and intermediate enough for me. If they changed that, I might take a look. Cos they changed a lot since then. You can now see a lot more on the screens like envelopes which you couldnā€˜t back then. Which I find huge.

2 Likes

I do sampling work in Ableton sometimes but Iā€™m not a big fan of Simpler tbh, Drum Rack is dope though! When I work with samples in Ableton I tend to be in arrangement view so I donā€™t think the Push would aid in my workflow at all.

Iā€™d probably be more interested in Maschine as an alternative, personally

1 Like

I have a Push 2 and OT MK2. I prefer the OT still based on what I see so far on the new Push 3. But I would sell my Push 2 and get the Push 3 as a viable upgrade. Then best of both worlds! Now if I had to start out with only one now, that is tough but as an Ableton user, having Push 3 would be better in many cases to use in studio and live. OT is great but lacks the features of integration with a DAW that Push has.

2 Likes

Even Push 2 + Ableton could do P-locks technically speaking. But itā€™s not as ā€œfunā€ and tactile as with Elektron stuff still.

2 Likes

Absolutely, adding the novelties of the Push 3 to the legendary OT seems much more interesting and creative than comparing them against each other which is completely useless.

2 Likes

The whole point of Push 3 is the high resolution MPE modulation capabilities of the pads which makes Octatrack look like itā€™s from the stone age with its push button p-locks.

1 Like

Had Push 1 and Push 2, now use OT Mk1. For me the issue with Push is that itā€™s a piece of hardware designed to make the Ableton software as tactile as possible. Putting that software inside the Push doesnā€™t change that dichotomy - the UI is still a ā€˜blank slateā€™ that gets contextualised by the software. And sometimes that UI lost me. The OT to me feels the other way around - the software is there to support what the hardware is presenting to the user.

Which is a long winded way of saying that for me, the OT might be a lot more limited in terms of features, but itā€™s also a lot more intuitive and satisfying to use. And it has a crossfader. I have no idea why Ableton donā€™t include a hardware crossfader on the Push 3 given itā€™s a key mixing aid in Ableton - Touchable on iOS has a fantastic UI for managing Abletonā€™s crossfader so it can be doneā€¦

7 Likes

as a hardcore Push2/Live user in the past, and OT owner for several years now, Iā€™m a bit disappointed with P3 release, and even concerned a little.
it was pretty obvious where things were heading with their P2 release and then new Akai devices and eventually M+.
the thing is that neither Maschine nor Live never thought to be running inside a controller initially. maybe Akai forced them to make this turn, or the whole DAWless movement, idk.
but these devices now look bulky, cumbersome, and unusable at times. also it is very different usability wise vs what they look like on paper.
and thatā€™s why i canā€™t even start comparing P3 with OT. because on paper P3 is faaaar superior than OT. but Octatrack is a complete device designed from ground up and meticulously thought out in every aspect. this what makes it ā€œa properā€ instrument, unlike P3 unfortunately. Push3 feels like a workaround to keep up with the market, especially compared to Octatrack

6 Likes