Push 3 controller version versus Push 2

Ok, I was reading the Push 3 versus vs Octatrack Mk2 thread, and there was mention of why hasn’t there been a thread created in regards to comparing the Push 3 against the Push 2, so I thought I would create one.

(Push 3 standalone VS Octatrack MK2 - #59 by captain8):

I admit I’ve been carried along with the hype, and do fancy one, but now that the dust is settling a little, and people have their units, what are you finding beneficial if you upgraded from a Push 2 to the Push 3 controller version? (or even the standalone).

Other than the MPE, are there any other areas of functionality that gives that added value to your workflow, or do you find that Push 2 basically does the same thing when you boil it down?

I’m also interested in the use of ADAT on the Push 3 controller version and if there’s any interesting use cases in your workflow which improves on using your audio interface with Push 2.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

The built-in audio interface sounds really good to me; and it’s nice to have

The big knob is awesome as well

The sample/pack browsing is way improved

I also like the new layout of the buttons - makes a lot of sense to me

Bugs and needed workflow improvement aside, I don’t think I’ll be plugging Push 2 back up anytime soon.

2 Likes

Yes - they do the same thing, control Ableton Live. But Push 3 does a few more things

2 Likes

Thanks - I already have Push 2, so I’m trying to work out if an upgrade to the Push 3 controller version is worth the move.

You should consider skimming through the Push 3 Users thread. I vastly prefer the layout and UI of Push 3 to Push 2.

2 Likes

I hear you. Especially since it’s a major investment to upgrade.

You will for sure be fine with Push 2. But in my honest opinion, Push 3 is a significant upgrade over the 2.

I don’t think you can save projects from the Push 2. I also don’t think you can rename things on the Push 2. Those are just a couple small advantages.

The big wheel (believe it or not) is a god send for me. It’s pretty fluid to navigate around with it.

These are all quality of life upgrades and far from essential to making music.

Live 11.3.3 is not crippled in any way by continuing to use Push 2

1 Like

I like the look of the audio I/O and the midi, but I hardly use my Push 2 as it is, and now the resale price has dropped through the floor I won’t be selling it.

I think the new audio and midi connections are less useful if you use the Push as a controller at a desk, as most of us already have an audio interface. And with standalone, who wants an audio interface that takes 40 seconds to start up?

Very interested to see where this goes though. Especially the renewed interest in making Max devices for Push, which benefits Push 2 users just as much.

4 Likes

Does it take that long on the controller version?

I’ve been using it as a Standalone, and only used it once in controller mode, but it was already on.

1 Like

Only standalone as far as I have read.

2 Likes

To give my 2cents on the topic, I think it just comes down to if you want MPE, improved pads and/or an audio interface.

I sold off all my Roli stuff because I wanted P3 to be it for my MPE needs and I’m happy that I think this is better than what I let go.

I don’t have a need for an audio interface as a controller but I do want it in standalone.

The jog-wheel, coincidentally was just getting discussed in the Push 3 thread. I don’t consider it a must have unless you’re on standalone.

The layout is improved but Push 2 is still very capable. Improvements include the Capture button (new+Rec on P2), better options for Mute/Solo tracks and easier options for selecting views. Again these are improvements, but mileage will vary between use/importance.

The Save button is a must if you’re trying not to touch the computer, but if it’s a hybrid setup you can just as easily save via key commands and I would rather type in names than use the rename via Push.

4 Likes

I know there has been discussion over how expensive this thing is, but as far as MPE controllers go- it seems competitively priced from what I’ve seen.

That being said, I HATE playing on pads, so I might have to look into the Roli controllers, after having forgotten all about them :grinning:

1 Like

I’m no MPE expert, but from what I’m reading, especially if you HATE pads, Osmose is the better option.

My Roli Seaboard Blocks suffered from bulging rubber on sides and the rubber would detach from the edges. I had mine replaced while still under warranty. If that doesn’t deter you, then it’s good to know there’s some DIY remedies for replacing the rubber with mousepad like material on the top. From a video I watched a while back, they said it improved the usability with the change in material.

1 Like

Lol thanks. I’ll order 2

And there’s the Push 3 competitive pricing! :sweat_smile:

If looking for a Roli deal (and they can be found for a good deal), it wasn’t a video - it was here: My new Seaboard "Continuum"... :-) - DIY: Build it and they will come Forum - KVR Audio

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve had a good look through and there’s plenty to go at. I think I wanted to see if anyone had any direct observations in a comparative 1 to 1 sense. I bought my Push 2 in 2015, and I’ve had good use out of it, although I experienced that ‘sticky’ surface issue along the back edge, so that has pissed me off big time. In all honesty, even if it was exactly the same in a UI sense, the MPE, audio ports, upgrade option(s) and if it has a better surface material is prob enough to swing it. You mentioned the layout and that the UI is improved, and that’s also a massive plus for me. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

I own a p2 and I am going to replace it with p3 controller mode because of the so called, extremely playable mpe pads. I love that kind of sensitivity on drum and keypads. The pads on p2 are ok but not perfect.
2nd point is the audio interface. I want to use p3 with a surface book and ableton. So I am ready to go. For me the better combo than p3 standalone. I mean every Elektron User knows about the dark side of beeing locked in a groovebox environment with only 64 steps pattern length. Some people loving the restriction other love some DAW freedoms.

3 Likes

Okay, I don’t own either P2 or P3, so I know I have no business chiming in, but here’s my two cents anyway.

I have been weighing buying a (now) cheap P2 vs. P3C (controller version). I will be waiting for my pre-ordered P3. One obvious difference that hasn’t been mentioned here is that with the P3C, I can later decide if upgrading to P3SA is worth it to me. I will likely wait until Ableton offers something with better battery life, or will maybe pick up someone else’s discounted old standalone upgrade when they upgrade to whatever Ableton offers later. In other words, the P3 is a new paradigm and ecosystem that I want to buy into for the long road, and P2 won’t be part of that. Also, having neither, I am assuming that Ableton will be putting most of its future R&D efforts into supporting P3, not P2 or P1. So, just because a M4L or new Ableton Live device works for P3, doesn’t necessarily mean it will also work for P2, etc.

2 Likes

I had good results using Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

Another Naut had recommended it in an older post. If I can find their post again, I’ll reference it, but it is work to remove the texture. Anything already sticky comes off quickly but everything else is work.

The white lettering and logo should not get removed

1 Like

Can you elaborate on this? I always found them annoying on the Push 2.

Amazing, I’ll try that. thx!