Punk 2021

Groundhog Day politics (each day brings more shocking but equally numbing news of the insane and inane), global pandemic, wealth unfairness, general mankind trapped droidlike on a hamster wheel … surely, when it comes to the soundtrack, something has to pop.

The mid 70s had punk: shockfactor rejectionist music bursting briefly onto the scene without a cause or mission, but impudently setting a post Floyd and Zeppelin flag (their talent survived it). Probably punk’s greatest musical achievements were to be in its own rejection in its wake.
First several years later in the glory and sometime genius of 80’s synth and pop fusion. A soft romantic inventive reaction to the punk book-end on large rock, glam, disco and 60s psychedelia and folk.
The 80s were an unimaginable departure from what went before. Not least thanks to the beauty of hip hop and later trip hop. Punk, insofar as it is an antiestablishment motif, had a second attempt, a decade later in Jane’s Addiction, Grunge and Green Day in equal cool and uncool derivatives,

But we’ve gone all the way to 2020, and tensions abound. The 90s made their mark, the 2000s less so, unless Coldplay is as timeless as it is inoffensive. What abrupt musical shock is going to take us from the drab over engineered re-regurgitation of old, folky lofi, elektronic timid mishmash, legato electronic nonsense music … to a new unimaginable plane?

Please tell me there is a new exciting genre on the way, or at least another Punk blip we can get behind for a while to clear the decks for something new. Or is music basically all done? We’ve already done and heard it all? From here on it’s the same alphabet, resorted?

15 Likes

Listen to my mixtape at:

SoundCloud.com/ShamelessSelfPromotion

9 Likes

Film, literature, music, fine art… all dead. Sad but true. Capitalism and the digital age are part of the problem. Art is dead. Culture is dead, period. But, it will resurface again one day. The dark ages gave way to the renaissance.

2 Likes

How do these two things contribute to the problem. I get one or the other, but not both.

If anything digital has resolved the problem that capitalism created for the music scene.

1 Like

Fair question.

Capitalism always look for a new way to increase profits. Making things cheaper is part of that. But digital did not just make things cheaper, it made all of life worse. The video store and arcade, the record store, the book store, the movie theatre… are dead. Now we have Netflix, Amazon, online gaming.

We had 16mm, 35mm film. Now we have HD, 4K, BS. All for what? All it has done is make the world worse. Any gain in ‘convenience’ has made everything empty and clinical. Digital is not inherently ‘bad’. It is just part of the capitalist storm that robbed us of analog technology and… analog ‘experiences’. And it shows. The OP sees it clearly. The world of art has flattened out. All we do now is talk about the past.

2 Likes

i suppose what I’m hoping is that the 2020’s, when we look back on them in the 2040’s, will be recognised in hindsight as a genius era of truly new music, as classy in its own right as several of the prior 6 decades that preceded.

I just find that really difficult to imagine from where we are sitting today.

What or who is going to burst the current overinflated bubble…

You’re speaking purely from an aesthetic perspective.

I just found that music, at its most pure, was folk music people that played traditional songs/hymns/their own songs around gatherings of family and friends- and in that respect the artificial significance provided by the Music Market has been eliminated and music is as casual to interact with as those simpler times.

Digital has made it so that anyone can record their music and share it with people.

Sure there are professional commercial music to make people believe in silly things like love and Coca Cola and super bowl halftimes but that illusion is in the hospice while the people that really care start their own cultures of 2, 4, 10, 50+ people.

People that don’t expect to make it big- people that make music because they genuinely care about making it

12 Likes

I am in no way denying the benefits you mention that digital has brought. And yes, my position is largely aesthetic. But I think the proof is in the pudding. Look at the 60s, 70s, 80s… and look around you today. Quality of art, in general, has gone down tremendously.

Digital is not the sole blame of course. But digital has done something else negative: It has made art too casual. The line between a YouTube video and The Godfather has been blurred so much, that all we have left today is a middle ground. Our standards are so low now.

I agree on that Ryan, dig into simplicity and there is genius and beauty there.

What I’m getting at is … have all genre’s now been exhausted? Everything is blending too much for distinction. Will decades forward no longer define themselves by their signature (pop) musical development?

It is an outcome of the availability of tools to near everyone to create and publish, there are no longer controlling forces making a genre happen. What would the 80’s be without Stock Aiken and Waterman? The 10’s without Simon Cowell?

I can see some genres making a comeback alright, but new ones are hard to phathom

2 Likes

I think this type of discussion is influenced by age and location

Eg , I’m in uk and nearing 50 so when I see green day I just though pop punk but in the USA they were taken seriously.

In some respects I’m sure grime / drill music , trap and similar genres are perceived as anti establishment the same way acid house/ rave was in the uk years ago
Uk wise we have sleaford mods etc that are continuing the rough around the edges social commentary stuff.

Ive been learning to DJ recent and mixing gescom go sheep with ibeyi the river sounds quite unique ( think autechre beats with soul vocals. ). There are still genres to develop.

3 Likes

harsh noise

4 Likes

There are going to be so many idiosyncrasies as to why it may feel this way… one aspect may be down to drink & drugs and how you can’t do anything without some tw*t recording it on their phone…so the kids don’t let loose like they used to and thats often when you find inspiration & introspection.

now they will grow up defining decades by nonsensical & polarised political movements the poor buggers.

1 Like

Lol. Right :smiley:

3 Likes

A lot of this is sounding anti technology not really punk ideology, which is quite alive.

1 Like

I see a lot of posts on this forum that prove you wrong

3 Likes

They way I see it is mainstream is dead, plenty of small groups and individuals making works in all sorts of mediums. There is more room for small groups to have a bit of success than ever before, fully side stepping big labels. There’s no good reason to force interesting things into mainstream anymore as there are more avenues than ever to avoid it.

6 Likes

Amen!

1 Like

The new ‘punk’ movement will come from mainly black artists living in America making aggressive, anti-police hip hop just like the likes of NWA and Public Enemy were doing in the wake of the LA Riots in 1992. Just give it a year or two to gestate. The anger is real again.

5 Likes

the anger has been real

4 Likes

Increased marginalization of independent workers and artists in the US, the simultaneous lack of public spaces for subculture and places for youth to congregate and develop scenes beyond ideological feeder sites like Reddit or 4chan. I don’t even know if DeviantArt is still a thing…

1 Like