PULSAR-23 by SOMA

For me, somehow the word ‘elemental’ keeps coming up as to what it is that draws me to the Pulsar, both in its sound and also the way it operates. Maybe that’s my inner euphemism for raw and industrial, but I don’t find this off-putting, more like something to be harnessed and tamed, or else to be set free into the wild (not dissimilar to the Lyra).

You should totally just record the outs while you fuck around with it for hours so we can chop it up into samples. Have fun man I’m envious!

2 Likes

Yes! Live stream so we can dip in whenever :hugs:

1 Like

These are both great ideas! My 2012 MacBook Pro is a bit long in the tooth for live streaming (though I am familiar with OBS) but I would love to offer some samples!

1 Like

Use your phone… you can use any social media plattform to live stream… you just need an audio Interface that you can hook up to your phone (which is most of them)

1 Like

That’s really cool, I’m behind the times with my understanding of this stuff. Will look into this further, thank you!

1 Like

Same for me, the thing I like less is probably the BD channel. External processing helps but I’m not a fan of the sound. I find especially difficult to have it sit nicely in the mix.

This! The stuff I make is pretty far from industrial music and since I got it I use the Pulsar in every track.

3 Likes

Would love to hear some!

1 Like

Sample based beat made on the Digitakt and then layered with drums from Pulsar (snare and hi hats) and effects from my modular. Pulsar’s BD channel used to open a VCA controlling a feedback loop, bass channel played via MIDI from the Digitakt.

8 Likes

That’s awesome! Really original Hip Hop Beat

1 Like

Been using the Pulsar all day, it’s a real time sink. After a ‘short’ session I looked up to find thay it was suddenly dark outside and I had been neglecting my other half for hours.

I really like the sound of all of the modules. The kick is massive with a nice amount of control over the pitch envelope plus additional envelope punch with simple patching. The bass module I like but can’t figure out how to play chromatically yet. It’s cool the bass module can be a percussion sound as well. The snare/clap module is gorgeous, loving the filter on this one. The hi-hat module is proper filthy.

This is my first piece of modular gear beyond a brief and unsatisfactory stint with a Mother 32, and so far it’s been blissful. I have sequenced it via the looper as well as via MIDI. Both work nicely. The looper is fiddly but satisfying to get right. There are some very clever controls like the three velocity levels and the four banks which allow for copying loops over.

Looking forward to giving it another go shortly, forcing myself to have a break from it!!!

7 Likes

The bass module needs to be set to midi. Once in midi mode press the learn button then send a trigger from your midi keyboard/sequencer and it will respond to chromatic after that.

3 Likes

Thanks so much, that works. Despite knowing about that switch, somehow I didn’t flick it to MIDI. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My understanding of the Pulsar-23 has deepened due to the many hours I’ve put into using it since yesterday, I’ve recorded elements of a track which I hope to release shortly.

There’s something intrinsically satisfying about the sound of the unit. I love the individual dry/wet volumes for each module so you can have only a reverberated hi-hat for example. Sounds great.

I find the loop recorder rather tricky to use in isolation but used in tandem with the clock outputs it’s a super fun tool. The interconnected means of creating patterns is uniquely satisfying, moreso than anything I’ve used before.

The fact it ‘only’ has four sound sources is actually a bonus for me as I find myself quickly muddying a mix with more than a few elements. I currently have the Pulsar clocked to Ableton Live, with a Keystep 37 sending note data to my Virus B. Super flexible hybrid recording setup with analogue and digital elements. Bliss.

Unfortunately I’ve found the Tuning and Warp knobs on the SD channel don’t function on my unit. The functions themselves work when modulated via the LFO, so I’m not massively concerned about the unit, but I may need to open it up and see what’s going on. Could be something have come apart from the main board. I have contacted Soma and the seller, hoping to get this resolved soon.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that about the faulty unit mate. People are such dicks. These things appear to be old school and built like tanks anyway so I’m sure it’s easily resolved even if the seller does a runner

1 Like

Thank you for your concern, and don’t worry - the seller is a really decent guy. Been speaking with him for over a month prior to the sale. Apparently the issue didn’t arise when he used it, and as skeptical as I am of these things, I believe him. I hope to get this sorted soon. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe something came loose in transit. Soma seem top notch with their support tho, so I’m sure they’ll set you right soon enough.

2 Likes

Hi there, here’s a demo video of the fantastic Pulsar-23. I’ve had a lot of fun with this unit but it had to leave after doing the video. Great for harder electronic music genres but at the same time quite versatile with all the patching points. Maybe you find it interesting.

4 Likes

This may have been asked and answered countless times BUT is there a way for me to route the L and R outputs of an external synth into the Pulsar? I have visions of playing my Virus B in stereo through the Pulsar but fear it may be impractical at best or impossible at worst.

Edit: just realised this wouldn’t be possible as that sweet sweet Pulsar distortion is mono only.

why not use for mono then? :+1:

2 Likes