PULSAR-23 by SOMA

Does this make DLY> Left and REV> Right in the stereo field? I haven’t tested yet.

No. In my setup, it’s apparently making DLY into a stereo delay when DLY is selected and REV into a stereo reverb when REV is selected.

And which outputs do you use for that then?

I’m just using the main audio out.

I’ve now patched things properly to test this stereo signal capability. In addition to the above quote, on page 20 of the manual it says, “in DBL mode, a stereo mode is possible when the mono outputs become the left and right channels to which a stereo mix of double delay and reverb is fed.” Vlad and Soma people speak very good English, maybe 75-80% of standard, so there are many small things in their manuals that aren’t stated clearly. It’s usually reasonably easy to figure out what they mean, but I find these stereo instructions opaque, as I found the documentation of the DATA pin, which took me several rounds of email with Vlad to clarify. His video demos are worth a thousand words.

Here’s how the FX module’s DBL mode works for me explained in more literal detail:

Switch the mode selector at the top right to “DBL.” Note the line running from “DBL” to the pin labeled “MAD!”

Forget for a moment the main outputs of the P-23 (turn it down to zero), and notice the FX section’s output pins marked “DLY” and “REV” in the bottom half of the FX module. Note that these are different from the inputs in the top half of the FX module also labeled “DLY” and “REV,” but which have input indicators. As an aside, you can get dry outputs from these input pins in the top half, but forget about that for now.

Clipping an alligator to a patch cord, I run a lead from the DLY output pin to a right side stereo mixer channel and a lead from the REV output pin to a left side channel. When the selector switch at the top left selects “DLY,” the lead from the DLY output gives a mono delay signal at unity gain, with no adjustment capability from the “DLY OUT” knob; the REV output is silent. Likewise, when the switch selects “REV,” the lead from the REV output gives a mono reverb signal at unity gain, with no adjustment capability from the “REV OUT” knob; the DLY output is silent.

Now input voltage into the pin labeled “MAD!,” which also has a stereo indicator. For example, I attach a lead from the +10V pin to maintain constant activation as the manual suggests.

With the selector switched to DLY, the output marked “DLY” gives the right side of the stereo delay effect, and the output marked “REV” give the left side of the stereo delay effect. If you then switch the selector to REV, the two outputs will similarly give the left and right outputs of the stereo reverb effect. Remember that the DLY OUT and REV OUT knobs have no effect here. You control the amount of effect by adjusting the FX send in each of the BD, BASS, SD, and HH modules. The respective module’s VOL knob also has no effect, just its FX send. If you switch the FX mode selector away from DBL, you instantly go back to the mono effects configuration.

I must say, the stereo effects sound bitchin. I hope I don’t now regret the $600 USD I plunked down earlier today to get one of those Ninja Erica Synths Zen stereo delays. The Zen does have the badass tube sticking out, so there’s that.

7 Likes

Thanks for the detail! I’ll give it a whirl tomorrow…

Thanks for this. So is it true stereo or split mono you end up with. Sorry I probably need to walk through your post when I actually get mine.
Do you find it quite immediate to use? My only doubts are that time is limited for studio stuff.

It sounds like true stereo to me. This thing is nothing if not immediate. I mean, no menus or screens–it’s all right there. MIDI LRN buttons all over the place are super convenient for interfacing with a Keystep or my Zendrum controller, which would be a pain to re-program. But even after reading the manual (only 30 pages), some functionality is rather unobvious until you watch Vlad’s demos or you’re patient enough to methodically try stuff.

2 Likes

A stereo FX demo.

1 Like

I’m loving this dirty gutsy chat from the owners of this beast, the nitty gritty, the ins and outs…
Great unit, an unknown quantity, truly loving the first reactions from the box openers…

Tried Pulsar properly at perfect circuit event, beautifully lofi and experimental.
And this happened,

16 Likes

Not yet fully convinced by the Pulsar (also given the price) nor by the pipe. Recently bought a Lyra, and I like it very much, though…

I think the most interesting thing about pulsar and lyra is that they do not have a 16 step sequencer. for once we are free to surf the random waves.

1 Like

I’d like to hear some more minimal or ambient uses of the pulsar. Audio examples to date have been very much in the industrial vein.

1 Like

Another stereo FX demo that’s best heard with earphones:

3 Likes

4 Likes

finding the wait a bit tedious at this point.

1 Like

Trashbat!

1 Like

:joy:

I’m waiting for mine <3