PSA: Digitakt inputs not routed to main in Class Compliant USB mode

Thanks for the write up! That was exactly what I was finding strange.

@Ess could you maybe hop in and clear things up?

I can see why you would think that, it has a ADC built into it and the OS upgrade advertises “Capture the Audio Recordings from your unit on the fly”
Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 7.30.03 PM

I record the main out and I hear the Digitakt inputs when I record the headphone outs but not the USB? Seems like something they should address.

2 Likes

Such an interesting topic I couldn’t help but to give my 2 cents.

I’m very happy they given us the ability to record the Digitakt inputs in stereo using Overbridge, but in an ideal world the inputs would be handled the same way as its sibling, the Digitone.

I don’t think there are any hardware limitations that would prevent this. The hardware and OS are similar sans an extra board for FM/DSP stuff on the Digitone. Porting the input handling from the Digitone firmware to the Digitakt seems feasible.

They make such a great pair and the Digitakt as master makes more sense for me as it can handle more midi sequencing. Being able to route the Digitone trough the compressor would be a lot more useful than running the Digitakt trough the Digitone effects. Specially when you’re just using the pair.

I understand mono monitoring is for sampling but an option would be nice. Maybe a toggle between sampling and monitor modes in the settings menu. With it set in monitor mode we get the same functionality as on the Digitone and in sampling mode nothing changes. Or have it all enabled by default and once you start sampling it switches to mono.

Right now monitoring/recording the Digitakt inputs in stereo is only possible with Overbridge (and a computer). It would be amazing if this was possible without a computer involved. Even if its only working in usb-audio mode without the ability to run the inputs trough the effects or control/pan a stereo source or 2 mono sources like on the Digitone.

4 Likes

You can understand why people only have one or the other though, right? So then why should I buy the FM synth to record the audio inputs over class compliant USB? This is a function I associate with samplers, which record audio.

If the two devices are really so codependent on each other, maybe sell them as a package or maybe make an octatrack-sized device that is exactly a digitakt and a digitone.

As it stands, splitting functionality like this between the two devices just feels arbitrary from a design standpoint, unfair from a owner’s standpoint, and greedy from a prospective buyers standpoint.

But I’m probably making too much of it. This inconvenience might go away with a firmware update, or everybody just adapts and buys/sell another piece of gear on their path to musical nirvana.

1 Like

Ignorance is brave and daring, so let my ignorance run wild here…
The class-compliant audio interface feature is great.
The fact you can’t record any audio is a huuuge inconvenience. What do you do if you want to add a guitar?. Record the DT on to a track. Turn off everything. Unplug. Plug another audio interface. Record guitar. Turn off again, back to DT, etc… nightmarish. In that scenario you just avoid the audio interface feature and use the other one with DT as plain audio… but then you need midi sync… sort of dumb.
Here’s where my daring ignorance comes in… only 2 outs so I assume the limitation might come from outputting the live guitar AND the sequences tracks. That makes sense, more than it being a hardware problem.
If you can record/sample a guitar while you listen to it you should be able to get it “out”. If record it and then play it back it’d be a case of outputting that small buffer on the go. Yes, you couldn’t listen to the backing tracks… but there might me ways around this.
a) a “live input” mode where the DT would act as a regular sound card and won’t play the internal sequences
b) in “live input” mode have the jack input go to out1 and the DT sounds to out2 summed mono.
c) add a 3/4 out!. Even if just for outputting the monitoring inputs.
As I said, when you monitor in the sample recorder you’re routing that signal to the output. It’s hard to imagine why you can’t output that via audio interface.

Hi All,
To keep the desk tidy and benefit from digital audio out, I playback the DT and DN using USB, like they were audio cards (Settings > System > USB Config > USB Audio/MIDI, not Overbridge). In macOS I then aggregate them into a virtual audio card together with the real audio card that is connected to the monitors. Incredibly convenient and easy.

However, when I do so, monitoring the recorder’s playback on the DT does not work. The signal comes in (I can see it, or hear it using jack cables), but it is not passed on to the L+R output on USB.

Is this a bug? Or it is intended for reasons I can’t guess?

This is not the same problem described here. Overbridge works fine.

Thanks,

G.

1 Like

Class-compliant mode (USB Audio/MIDI in USB CFG) presents the DT as a 2x2 audio interface on the computer, but its inputs will only work in Overbridge mode (shows as 12x2 interface).

Although it’s not a bug, it’s bad form to show the 2x inputs if they can’t actually be used. Maybe things will improve here but the DT is a mature product now, so who knows…

1 Like

The 2x inputs are there to record the output of the DT. How would you record the sequences to iPad or computer otherwise?. It’s not just for Overbridge. iPad has no overbridge but you can use the DT as audio interface (thus class compliant).
What’s missing is output from the DT jack/external inputs when used as audio interface. No way to get external jack input on iPad, which prevents it from being a usable audio interface.

1 Like

i was replying to giacecco about the physical inputs on the DT

1 Like

Hi. yeah, I was trying to say that the 2x inputs in interface mode do work, but they are for the DT output (stereo out of sequences). So it’s not “bad form” to display them. Without them you wouldn’t be able to do anything, like record the output of a DT song.
To be able to use the physical inputs they should (ideally) be on a outputs 3&4. That’s what’s missing.
Cheers!

are you confusing inputs and outputs here? i don’t understand what you mean

Audio interface shows 2 inputs and 2 outputs from DT.
In your daw you choose DT inputs 1 & 2 to record sound from DT to your daw (iPad or computer).
In your daw you choose DT as output to listen to audio.
There’s no way to record audio from jacks plugged into DT (guitar, etc),
It’s confusing cos inputs in the DAW (iPad) are outputs in DT, it’s messy to explain. Sorry if I wasn’t clear.

Actually there is.
In Logic I create an Overbridge instrument track to record MIDI notes from the Digitakt(although i really don’t usually)

To record the main outputs of the Digitakt I use an audio track with inputs 1-2.

To record my stereo external synth which is sequenced by the Digitakt via MIDI I use an audio track using inputs 11-12.

You have to set it in monitoring mode in order to hear it and make it record enabled.

this whole thread is about class compliant mode, not overbridge mode.

1 Like

Exactly, there’s no overbridge for iPad.

Haven’t tried this as with my Mac I already have an interface to record. But it brings up the question. If you can record external inputs via Overbridge… It can’t be a hardware limitation. Right?. That’s been my point all along. I can’t see why it can’t be done. Obviously there must be a catch somewhere. It would really bump up the usability with ipad. Like night and day.
As I said if you need to switch interface for recording it’s pretty pointless. Furthermore the DT is usually the first instrument, the base, rhythm track . You’re probably gonna a bass, synth or guitar after the DT. To do that you have to ‘unplug’ the DT… No rhythm track. Gotcha. So you need to bounce it to audio, might as well plug it as audio into the interface with actual audio in the first place. See my point?.

3 Likes

I think that’s probably correct.
Most audio interfaces I own(that have a Class Compliant mode) expose all their channels to the system regardless which driver is being used(i.e. RME, Denon, iConnectivity, Allen & Heath).

The only limitation I know of is USB Audio Class 1.1, which is limited to 2 channels input and output.
And nobody has used that for years.

Not a bug, it’s intentional for reasons nobody in this threads can explain.

2 Likes

Yep it makes no sense actually.Class compliant means that it can interface itself.Also stereo monitoring would be a huge thing on standalone and seems weird that only Overbridge can enable it.

I have an external sound card as well but I ditched it because on vacation where I took just the Digitakt and the Mac mini with me and it worked like a charm as a soundcard,so less gear hassle too.But I didn’t use external inputs there.

What I was almost never able to achieve was the iPad configuration…

Ipad always says that “the device requires too much power” and even if I plug the power afterwards,it makes no difference.It only worked once or twice before the update,where I was able to sequence the Animoog.And only via powered usb hub.Could also be that my cck cable is probably shit.But I read here in some post that a USB B to lightning could work too since the device is class compliant.I will try this one next.

You might have more luck with a powered usb hub, so u go digitakt -> hub -> ipad where the hub has its own wall wart power. I havent tried it with a digitakt but its worked for me with other stuff.

It worked like 2-3 times pre update with a powered usb hub but it does not work anymore.Though it’s possibly my cck that was used when I got it and I guess it was a kinda faulty one.Then again it shouldn’t work at all I guess…Really messed with my brain this adapter.Idk,did people here always had a stable connection using it,or it’s a common issue?
I also read here somewhere that people had luck with a usb B to lightning but I don’t exactly remember if it was for usb MIDI only.

I guess I will have to try that too and I will report results when I do.