'Propulsive club tracks with no kick drum'

I don’t know if this is propulsive but here’s a Josh Wink track from 1996:

Damn again I fail to embed a video. How’s it done?
edit: thanks @Grate_expectations :smiley:

3 Likes

I do enjoy Koreless. I’m pretty sure I remember reading an interview where he said this album was made in the box.

I always just click ‘share’ on the YouTube video and then copy and paste the link.

Bangers

2 Likes

Barker and Koreless really like that gated sound. Whenever I try that I end up sounding like tarnce circa 1995.

There’s been some good discussion around Barker’s production techniques on here, for example Chord-Arps/-Patterns like "Barker" - HOW?

And yes, I like this style a lot and it’s hard to pull off convincingly!

1 Like

Here’s one 1994 classic…

6 Likes

Oh, your second track totally made me remember Lorenzo Senni

5 Likes

That’s right! Same here!

This one from Donato Dozzy & Anna Caragnano:

2 Likes

Club tracks without kicks is like a roast dinner without gravy, you can but why would you want to?
I listened to a few of the tracks posted and to me they all sounded like they would be better with a kick :laughing:

I can live without snares, claps, hats etc on some tracks, but for me a kick is fundamental in a club/dance track or else it just always sounds like a breakdown, I guess these tracks might have their place in a mix, but it seems a bit odd to me, like doing something just for the sake of being different, rather than what actually works. But then I’m a grumpy old bastard anyways so FDIK.

9 Likes
1 Like

Maybe they are meant for mixing with tracks that are all kick. (That should make for an interesting thread too)

2 Likes

…the sonic evolution worx it’s way…everywhere…
here we see, er, hear, the progress of toploops… :wink:

from tooltrax to toploops…from toploops to tooltrax again, that can now even make sonic sense all on their own…

what comes to my mind first:

also, the 1st three minutes of this epic track:

2 Likes

Probably not too propulsive but I always liked how the kick is implied by the sidechain compression in this track

5 Likes

WARNING Not 100% beatfree CONFIRMED dancefloor destroyer :bomb:

From 1976 ^

I think bass wasn’t invented until 1984 so this might be cheating.

3 Likes

Sueno Latino fixed it though :laughing:

2 Likes

Manuel Gotsching! Very nice! Perhaps a pioneer for berlin.

1 Like

:bomb: :boom:

1 Like