Prophet 12 *DESKTOP/RACK

http://www.amazona.de/dave-smith-prophet-12-module-rack/7/

Still a prototype, so maybe more knobs to be added.

Best news ever! Well, short of Elektron announcing a new unit :wink:

If it is priced similar to the Prophet 08 Desktop I will be all over this! The interface is pretty minimal and reminds me of a Sequential Circuits Six-Trak.

A few more controls would be nice, particularly an ADSR and at least some of the oscillator section. Glad the character controls have been banished!

how come the youtube demos of the keyboard version are full of people talking shit? i think it sounds pretty good but it’s hella expensive. lack of controls aren’t an issue if the price is right; that’s what my midi controller is for!!

Being a Prophet 12 owner I can confirm that there is indeed a lot of bashing that recently took place on the internet. Especially from french forums. And a kind of snowball ignited with early owners suddenly selling their freshly acquired P12 because of this. Then some small issues started to be like crimes : light filter bleed, only one output midi channel, no sequencer. In a sense in some forums, the critic was to find all negative points rather to pinpoint the good aspects.

Why ? Well, first because the P12 is an amazing machine, really easy to use, but a little more time is needed to make it sounds like you want (there are indeed some aliasing sometimes, but in specific part of the sonic palette only).

Secondly because factory patches are not that good (on the factory 496 less than 10% are worthing) and people having just 5min in a shop may have the impression that it sounds flat and dull (and good patches are not in the first bank…).

Third, because after NAMM 2013 a lot of people had in mind that the P12 will be the ultimate polyphonic analogue synth, the legacy of the Prophet 5. The P12 is an hybrid synth and oscillators are digital. It’s great for complex atmos, leads, FX etc… but tuning is needed to make it sounding warm and analogue (possible but not straightforward).

Note that now the situation is back to normal, could be that bashers have now another target machines, and users with real P12 experience start to post their demos, with good results.

I like it, for sure I even prefer my Analog Four. But the two are working quite well together, at least for me.

The pricing will be $2200 for the desktop so it won’t be cheap. The sound engine is awesome. Bit harsh in the extremes but very capable of doing nice and round sounds. The desktop is identical to the keyboard minus keys, and instead of dedicated knobs in each section you get a button, when pressed you can access all functionality on the soft knobs. So every param is only 1 press away.
I really like the concept of the modulation matrix with the assign-source and assign-destination buttons.

P12 shocks me on recordings every time I play it- It just does what you want it to do when you want it to do it. It’s almost too easy- which makes it easier for people to focus on it’s flaws.

I hope the final version gets the touchstrips and maybe even the mod and pitch wheels. I’d be happy with 4 touch strips too. :joy: Two on either side?

Sweet! Will it only be bi-timbral like the 08?

This is pretty much my dream synth. I like matrix systems. They are easy enough to program when laid out properly, bit like the blofeld. But that P12 hybrid sound is amazing. My only gripe is the price. Way to rich for me. But maybe one day so knows. $2200 is still a ton of money but it’s not much more than a nl4 or virus desktop.

I’m quite dissapointed with the layout of the P12 module. The keyboard version seems to be very hands-on. But the modules looks more like menu diving. They found a way to make it happen with the P08 module compared to the keyboard, so I kinda hoped they would do something similar. Maybe there will be a few changes in the final version.

Besides that, I think one synth that really rivals the P12 is Ambika from Mutable Instruments. It “only” has 6 voices but is also hybrid and very very versatile. One of my favourite polys ever.

Funnily enough I’ve been thinking about these two for weeks now and trying to decide which way to go. Unfortunately I don’t have the skill to build an Ambika so it is not so great in terms of value once third party build costs are factored in. Such a tough decision!

Funnily enough I’ve been thinking about these two for weeks now and trying to decide which way to go. Unfortunately I don’t have the skill to build an Ambika so it is not so great in terms of value once third party build costs are factored in. Such a tough decision![/quote]
Why not build a Shruthi as a kind of feeler. It’s amazing how easy the build is. It’s much harder to build an ambika but still the experience may put you in the mood for trying. I’m not a very techy person but I built my shruthi_1 no problems. I really want to build an ambika but I don’t know where I would source the parts from. I wish they were available in kit form. I know he chose not to make a kit with the hope of putting of more amateur builders, but still.

I cannot solder at all so I had another person do it. Which was 999€. I think it’s still worth the money as it is a really flexible synth and super straight forward to use.

It needs an interface.

can someone recommend me a P12 module transport case, or even better a deck saver to secure transport of the module?
I am not sure about the Dave Smith desktop bags, they announce it as needing additional protection.

Hi, did you find a solution in the meanwhile? I would need some deck saver or extra safe bag, too.

Hi LC,

sorry not yet still, its sitting on the keyboard stand - i still need something for it, maybe a thomann case with foam would work, but they are not so pretty and clunky, i would like to have something small and sturdy for it.

When I had the P12m I bought the rack kit and put it in a case like this and it worked out well. I think mine was made by Odyssey.

Harmony Cases HC19MIX04 Flight DMX Custom Case Compatible with American DJ DMX Operator 384 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KRP9D4Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HVNWFbKM4E63P?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1