Promo video for Moog DFAM

Just shared this too - pretty awesome that they show cased all female artists!

4 Likes

Elektronauts irl
39CA0E25-DF30-412C-89BA-206615AB2505

1 Like

I think it is important to give visibility to female artists as often as possible, and the fact that Moog releases a product video with this intention speaks volumes of their compromise with feminism. I really hope itā€™s not just a PR stunt but a statement, we need more things like this. My girlfriend watched the whole video with me and sheā€™s not that much into this stuff, itā€™s not that sheā€™s thinking about buying it - she was just glad to see that someone, somewhere, remembered that women exist, create music and have opinions.

7 Likes

Exactly.

I just want to see good artists showcased on their merits, not their gender.

1 Like

Of course! But if the video was an all-male showcase we wouldnā€™t be having this conversation, which means it is necessary to go the extra mile for female visibility. The video is great and I donā€™t think those womenā€™s merits are up for questioning, right? The fact that we notice the absence of male musicians on such an insignificant thing as a promo video means that thereā€™s still a lot of work to do. Women usually never think about the situation being the other way around, basically because they have grown used to that, and thatā€™s wrong. So what Moog is doing is much more important than just releasing a nice sounding unit, I think, and that makes me glad.

3 Likes

Iā€™m sorry

1 Like

Respectfully agree to disagree - Iā€™m not into identity politics.

3 Likes

So how would you have changed this promo video to better suit your tastes? Is the issue that there are too many women in it, or that the women showcased arenā€™t good enough?

How are you able to tell that Moogā€™s intention here was to brag about how progressive they are, rather than just showcase a bunch of artists they like who happen to be female?

2 Likes

I didnā€™t say anything about Moog bragging, and I didnā€™t say I wanted to change the video.

I am simply just not part of the ā€˜Yeah itā€™s got women, and Iā€™m down with women!ā€™ sect. I am into anyone who makes good music regardless of their gender. If Moog felt that these artists were the ones, irrespective of gender, who best represented what they wanted to say about their new product, then thatā€™s mission success.

I would not patronise anyone by including them in something because of their broader identity. And I am not saying that is the case here, but it seems to be the assumption of those celebrating it, or else I would have expected no comment on the involvement or otherwise of women.

6 Likes

Fair enough - a pointless and baseless attack, followed by a command to ā€˜grow upā€™. Iā€™ll let that hang there like the bad smell it is.

6 Likes

With everything thatā€™s going on, always bittersweet funny to see dudes refusing to accept that promoting female artists visibility is a good thing. We are very far from a society where it would be kinda awkward and meaningless, hopefully weā€™ll get there. Iā€™m glad Moog proudly went that way to advertise the DFAM, in a sensible manner, since the demonstration of the product is still by far the main focus . Nowadays, any action in that direction should be appreciated, at worst it should ignored; it is not ridiculous nor weird, like, seriously ?
I wonā€™t comment further on this.

I am pretty into this DFAM, great demonstration of its raw sound. Reminds me of the Leploop somehow, always was curious about this groovebox, I wander if they somehow compare ?

4 Likes

Fair enough, i got the impression that it was being celebrated because itā€™s unfortunately rare to see talented women showcased in this type of video, so it becomes a note- and discussion-worthy event when it happens.

1 Like

I donā€™t know many women who would aspire to appear in a video like this, but I know plenty of men. I think there may be a disproportionate amount of men interested in electronic music. And one could even entertain the possibility that this isnā€™t any kind of conspiracy, but simply the way it is.

Having said which, I am always interested in any evidence which runs contrary to my views. And by evidence, I mean evidence (such as reliable polling data), not conjecture and supposition.

2 Likes

Unfortunately in this day and age, gender is precisely why some canā€™t show their merits. And, btw, this statement is close to claiming those artists in the video donā€™t have merit.

What was it exactly about their statement you disagreed with? IMO it was pretty on-the-ball.

Weā€™re celebrating that Moog has showcased artists who would have probably otherwise not gotten even a second look based on their gender.

And not just sex. Multi-racial, multi-sized and creating a variety of different types of music.

Then how about just being quiet?

and a little OT for good measure:

I think the immediacy of the sequencer and that you can patch Vel offers some interesting modulation opportunities.

3 Likes

So, to sum up - if you disagree with me, shut up?

1 Like

I anyway did not say ā€œshut upā€. I am just replying to your positions on identity politics.

Iā€™m saying if youā€™re ā€œnot into itā€, then just sit out.

I feel that was an over mooderation.

There were no personal attacks, only a heated conversation on important issues that imo was still under control.

Iā€™m all for equality but Iā€™ve gotta say itā€™s far from the truth that female musicians arenā€™t given a second look based on their gender, quite the opposite actually. people love it when women like this stuff being such a heavily male dominated audience. it just doesnā€™t seem that many women are into it. Blokes just seem to have a stronger interest in expensive toys with flashing lights on. Iā€™d say a lot of women have a stronger chance of musical success if they really go for it, given the amount of discussion thatā€™s generated from literally being in an advert

1 Like

No, true, you suggested I be quiet if I disagreed. Which is a lovely suggestion from anyone that always gives you the true measure of their liberal values.

1 Like