Project organisation/workflow tips?

Loving the DT. I’m finding it a really refreshing break from working in the box, and find myself very focused on the music making - wonderful!

Just wondering how other people best structure their projects/workflow for optimum ease and efficiency - towards actually finishing songs?

I’m working just in Audio. I’ve been making my main rhythm track on Pattern 1, resampling that, and then placing that loop on Track 1 of Pattern 2, and then been using the remaining 7 Audio tracks for my instrumentation (basslines, melodies, chords, pads, FX).

This creates a basic loop which is the foundation of my track, I then duplicate that pattern, and create variations of the instrumentation. I then plan to track into my DAW via Overbridge - the downside of this is that my 8 tracks of percussion are in a different pattern than my 8 tracks of instrumentation. :upside_down_face:

My plan is to simply record multiple passes of recording into the DAW, and then rearrange in the DAW.

Keen to hear other approaches from people more experience than me. :slightly_smiling_face: Would be deeply greatful to learn a smooth an easy workflow that keeps things organised for intuitive jamming and recording into the DAW. Many thanks in advance! :pray:

I make a real mess when I’m creating a song. I work in one pattern until I’ve got enough/too much, then copy to the next pattern and make changes/deletions.

I end up with things in the wrong tracks, and too many samples in the project. But the act of organization, and the act of creating aren’t in the same place in my head (although in other circumstances I’m very organized).

I work around this with a notebook, where I keep track of each project, anything I’m likely to forget by the next time I switch on the Digitakt. I also use the amazing Elk-Herd 3.0 to tidy up.

The final destination is always a computer. Usually Logic, via an iPad first. On the iPad, Beatmaker 3 and Blocs Wave are both killer for recording loops, and can sync to the Digitakt (BM3 via MIDI direct — rock solid — and Blocs via AudioBus’ MIDI sync).

I like to jam my songs while still on the Digitakt, but I don’t worry too much about how it all turns out.

One other tip. Be super consistent about what goes on which track. I put kicks on 1, snare on 2, hats on 3, and use 5-8 for samples, melodies.

Also, if I use the Digitakt to sequence some other box or app via MIDI, I will sample it back to the Digitakt as soon as I like it. Just to have a backup/working copy that’s local and frozen.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips. I’ll have to look into Elk Herd.

What is the point of using your iPad? I’m not sure I understand why you would do this if you are ultimately going into Logic.

I find BeatMaker 3 and Blocs Wave way easier for recording loops. That’s the only reason.

1 Like