Project and song management

Probably a rehash, but I’m just looking for other perspectives on when people start a new project and organize songs.

I find I loose track of where songs are and I often will just fill up a project to as many patterns / songs and then I’ll start a new project.

A few times I’ve started a project based on a genre or some kind of gig.

I will often keep a song related to a certain bank but sometimes I’ll have patterns that are coming from other banks.

Would you keep a project a specific scale?

Is it just kinda whatever?

1 Like

I’d say yeah, it’s kinda whatever.

But in all seriousness, how you organize your projects / songs is mostly just personal preference. Unfortunately the level of friction associated with copying songs / patterns from project to project on any of the Elektron machines besides the Digitakt is quite high. Digitakt has access to Elk Herd, which I feel like is a tool that Elektron should implement for all of its products. I ran into this same issue with the Digitone where I’d have patterns strewn across several different projects with no real way of organizing / finding them easily and it ultimately made that machine much less enjoyable to use.

YMMV but that’s my two cents.

3 Likes

Interesting topic. I used to try and create projects based on genres but I’ve realised this doesn’t work for me because…
1- I end up having tons of projects with not many patterns / songs.
2- Often I like to jam without thinking of a genre.

My current approach; which I find very liberating is to fill an entire project with whatever, then move the patterns to banks for a specified genre or bpm. For example, bank A house 117bpm, bank B electro 135 bpm, Bank E downbeat / experimental.

And yes, I do unwittingly keep all my projects to specific scale, C minor :smiley:

2 Likes

I tend to keep a bank in a specific scale.

If a pattern starts to feel like it has a different vibe I’ll move it to another bank.

I really wish one could consolidate a song into a bank or move the song over to a “genre” project

On the M:C this is possible cross-project with pattern copy, though a bit tedious if your song is more than one pattern.

Is it the same on Syntakt ? Or harder for some reason ?

I imagine it’s roughly the same. The dream is that you could select a song and copy it to a new pattern and it would load the patterns sequentially and it would maintain song structure and proper links to patterns.

2 Likes

elkherd, but it doesnt work on digitakt 1.5! not sure on the sytakt

Yeah this, I’m not sure if you’re literally talking about song mode, but that is my dream… I often end up having to move songs between projects and I really wish you could copy the song as well, would make it from an extreme time sink pain in the ass to a happy dream :slight_smile: Love song mode as that’s how my brain works, but I hope they make some improvements to it, but at least it exists now!

Understand. When I posted about M:C I was thinking of “song” as a collection of patterns (perhaps one) and forgetting the syntakt actually has a song mode.

1 Like

I recently started this new thing where Projects are basically are just “[name] #”, aka JAMZ1 or JAMZ2 or so on, unless it’s for something super specific or jamming with a friend. Then it’s directly the project name or person I’m jamming with.