Program Changes with External hardware

Hello all,
I have a problem, for which i can’t find a solution, not even reading the manual.
In my setup i have (among other machines) DT, DN, MPC One.

The configuration seems basic, i trigger patterns from DT and DN , and at the same time, triggers the sequences that i have in MPC One. i have activated the Program Changes, so everything is triggered in an orderly manner, example:
Pat A1 (DT, DN) Seq 01 (MPC)…Pat A2 (DT, DN) Seq 02 (MPC) Etc…

The problem comes if in one of the midi tracks of DN, i want to control an external synth, because even if i select a specific midi channel to trigger notes and program changes, the program changes also affect the MPC, changing the sequence, and i don’t understand the reason, since the MPC, is not in a specific channel, and even less in the same as the hardware synth.
I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong, and i don’t know if anyone can help me, but i need to send Prog Changes separately to the MPC, and to the synth, without interfering with each other.

Thanks.

Perhaps when the MPC is set to program change change seq mode it is omni, ie it listens for program changes on all channels which does make sense really for that function. Idi have an MPC I don’t think it has a dedicated listen channel like the Elektrons.

What you could is to use an mpc track to pass through to a midi device with the track having monitor enabled, this should in theory pass midi through to the specific channel but you could use that track to set your program change. Not ideal but that’s all I can think of.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your time, next week i’ll try your solution, i’m also waiting for a midi splitter cable, to try another idea i’ve had, unfortunately my Digitakt has had to be replaced due to a manufacturing defect, and even next week i will not be able to have the complete setup to test.
I’ll tell you how it went.

1 Like

Hey dude, your solution is working.
I’m not sure if that’s exactly what you were saying, but what I’ve done is send the midi notes from a Digitone midi track to the synth, through an MPC midi track, from which i send the program changes.
The change that i have made in terms of synchronization, has been to connect the synth to the MPC midi output, before i had them connected with a midi splitter cable from Digitone (Synth + MPC) Now the synth receives the midi notes from Digitone, but the program changes from MPC, without any conflict with sequence changes, which is just what i wanted to do.
Thank you very much for your time, you have helped me a lot.

2 Likes

That’s good news :slight_smile:

1 Like