Program changes (one more time...)

Oh I notice didn’t follow the Elektron naming protocole, I am talking about the DigiTone, not the DigiTakt, I will correct the messages above from “DT” to “DN”, sorry for this

Tried but as I expected it doesn’t make a difference. The OT only sends out a PC if it’s different from the last one it sent, regardless of Part changes. Makes it pretty useless for a “total recall” system.

Don’t despair, @sezare56 or @PeterHanes will be here at some point to sort it out.

5 Likes

Me too!
The only workaround I know is to send notes and map them with a midi processor.

It seems like I just can’t get rid of that computer in my set-up… :frowning:

No computer for me!

What midi processor do you use?

Mostly Event Processor Plus, maybe the simplest. @ericd also bought it, I hope he’s still happy with it…
Deeper editing with RK002, Bomebox seems very interesting too (I just tried the software).

Midi Processors with Octatrack

Yes, the Midi Event processor plus is very simple to use and does exactly what I wanted (allows OT to send program change per trig). I haven’t delved into the deeper programming potential yet.

It is a little pricey , I managed to get a second hand one on ebay so keep an eye out.

2 Likes

The way I read the example you gave earlier in the original post, it seems to contradict what you request that I quoted here.

If you enter the same Program Change number for every Part in a particular Bank, and have a different Program Change in every Part in the second Bank, then switching to a Pattern in the other Bank should act as you request.

n No, I must have been unclear then. The problem is that once a certain PC has been sent, it won’t be sent again unless it’s a different one, we do understand each other here. But what you say is basically: “then make them different” but I don’t want to. I want to be able to change banks/patterns on other devices while jamming then do a “total recall” using the OT as master device. I have actually 7 midi devices that need PC’s (or some other flavor of patch-switching message). I just want every device to be reset to initial state, once, and evertime I need it, whatever I have done to them in the meantime.

Because if, for instance, I use the same bass patch #1 on my AS-1 for several pieces involving different OT banks (different songs) but I change this bass patch during song A (because, for instance I live-sampled it and want to use the AS-1 for a new sound #2 ) then when I change banks (new song, same bass patch ) on the OT it will NOT send the PC #1 again because it has already been sent and the OT doesn’t know I changed it manually on the AS-1.

For this to reliably happen, everytime guaranteed, I would need to send a bogus PC to each device from the OT and only THEN the real PC sequence. That’s a workaround I could do without.

That looks like a nifty device… can we have several different processings we can switch to by midi?

Look here for a good overview of what the MIDI events processor can do:
http://midisolutions.com/EP_Guide.htm

The only way to do this would be to use the Program Change on every pattern change facility of the OT but only activate it when needed.

That would be very much a workaround for your situation and probably inconvenient.

32 events limitation, 8 variables, incoming / outgoing ranges, switches but it takes 1 event per function. I think RK002 and Bomebox are more flexible, if you have kind of programing abilities / logic…

The Bomebox looks really cool. I now use a iCM4+ from iConnectivity, plus LiveProfessor software running on a laptop which does all I need but I’d really appreciate not needing a laptop at all (even if I have the very capable and inspiring Equator softsynth running on it with a Roli Seaboard to control it. But that’s another story). I’d need some more DIN inputs but we can expand the BomeBox using Din-to-USB adapters. I’ll take a serious look at the Midi Translator Pro software. Thanks for pointing this out.

You can download the demo and check the interface which let you program the Bomebox.

I also have ICM4+ but I didn’t configured / used it. I also have a 8x8 A880, and an MEP4 so I’m pretty confortable with midi outputs!

I like to use Octatrack with 1 or 2 other machines and record them, so for the moment I don’t need all that arsenal I’ll keep anyway!

Hello World /n

I read on this forum that there is no way to P-Lock PC on the Octatrack.
Do you confirm ?
Is there any workaround using CC message ?

Thanks you

1 Like

From the manual it seems programme changes are attached to the Part, so changing a part can change a programme. Look up whether you can control parts with cc.

No CCs for Parts.

1 Like

If it’s worth it for you, a midi processor will enable you to do it (e.g. http://midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm)
But by itself, no. A very annoying and unnecessary (IMHO) limitation of the OT.