Problems with my machinedrum

i’ve been trying to play livesets with my machinedrum. everything goes perfect.
but the last year when i play a kick, the volume of my kick goes up and down with no reason,
first i thought that it was because my midichannel was the same as my other hardware but thats not it.

my setup is 2 elektribes, an analog four and the machinedrum (sps 1 mk2)

can somebody help me with this problem cause i have to go play a set in a month and i don’t want to fuck the soundsystem i’m playing on

Are you using the TRX-B2 machine?

no, i’ve been using trx bd

Did you check the LFO, that could be directed to volume of the kick ?

depth is at 0, so i don’t think it’s the lfo.

the strange thing is that it happens randomly, i can play an hour without any problem when suddenly i dont hear my bass anymore, and when i try turning it up i almost blow my speakers out

I SUGEST THIS I HAVE SOME STRANGE BEHAVIOR ON MD AND CANT SEE WHERES THE PROBLEM SO I RESTORE THE SYSTEM IN EXTREME CASES AND WORKS. ALSO CHANGE THE GLOBAL TO SEE IF THERES A STRANGE SETUP.

BACKUP YOUR DATA
RESTORE THE SYSTEM
CHECK IF THE PROBLEM PERSIST
IF NOT
REFILL WITH YOUR DATA
TEST

SO YOU CAN CHECK IF ITS YOUR MD

:elmd:

ok, i will try this.

but i hope it will help because i set my machinedrum to factory setting a week or 2 ago and it didn’t help.

Maybe reinstalling the os, i think the systems are not 100% perfect make your tests i hope you solve the problem. also as a joke try not to focus to much attention on the silverbox as the gig comes. :smiley_cat:

maybe a stupid question, but how do i reinstall the os?

I guess with the

C6

when you retart the machinedrum with function on the menu theres an option for this task i think is

midi upgrade

but i suggest ask to Peter or the moderators if its this the way to reinstall the system.

yes, so what do i do? try the midi upgrade? i must say i only work with harware, nothings connectet to a pc, and i’m really a noob when it comes to computer stuff.
i don’t have a clue how to upgrade it thru midi :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Some of the BD machines have free running oscillators which can interact strangely with eq or resonant filters to create volume fluctuations. The FM and sample based BD machines never seemed to suffer from this. If you can’t recreate a suitable replacement for the sound, possibly consider grabbing a cheap compressor to run the BD thru on the way to the board, you generally get a much more powerful mix doing this as it clears headroom on the main DAC’s anyway.

2 Likes

well i tried running my bd thru my elektribe (mx and esx) but with little difference, if this is what you mean.

(i will go to a friend in a few days to update my machinedrum with his midi interface, maybe this will help, well i hope so anyway)

I’m not familiar with the electribes, are you using a compressor on those to level out your kick? I’m talking about using a slow attack/fast or medium release compressor to hold the body of the kick drum in place while affecting the transient as little as possible. 3-4 dB is all you need generally to keep the body solid when those dips and swells occure.

Also keep in mind how your monitoring is affecting what you are hearing. On small nearfield monitors the body of the kick may seem to disappear and re appear, but that may just be the harmonics that your speaker can accurately represent. The sub may be coming through just fine, and you won’t even notice the problem on a huge sound system that can really put out the low end accurately.

i will try the compressor again tommorow at home, but it seems to me that its more then just a dip an a swell. the dips and swells don’t repeat. there not always as big and long. (sorry for my english but i’m trying my best to make it understandable :D)

1 Like

No worries bud! Hopefully it isn’t a hardware fault. Good luck tracking the issue down

1 Like

When you download the OS from Elektron.se i seem to remember there are very clear instructions including in the zip file. It can’t be that difficult if i’ve managed it as i’m a total half-wit when it comes to compooters.

Good luck with it though.

:+1:

I suggest that you create a support ticket with Elektron on their website.

In the meantime, you can check some basic things to try to identify the problem before you try to reinstall the firmware:

• Try the ‘Test Mode’ described on page 83 of the MD manual to see whether any problems are reported.

• Are you using an individual (C-F) output, or the A&B outputs, or the main outputs, for your kick drum sound?

• Do you always use the same track number (1-16) for your kick drum sound?

• Have you checked whether the LFOs on all the 16 tracks are affecting the kick drum track?

• Do you have anything connected to the MIDI In port of the MD?

• Are you layering more than one drum sound to make your kick sound, or muting the kick drum sound with a mute relation to another track’s sound?

• Does the problem only happen with the TRX machines? Is the problem still there when you use another kick drum (EFM, P-I) machine?

• Where does the kick drum sound go when it leaves the MD? Have you tried replacing the audio cables that you are using?

4 Likes