Problem how to record perfectly

Hi there,

My collegue and I have produced a track in Songmode with the analog rytm mk2 and analog four mk2.

So now we wanted to record it into a Daw (waves).

From the technical side everything worked perfect. Due to Overbridge we had all Tracks in the Daw.

So now the Problem. Three of the analog four tracks have effects. These fx are on the main out.

So we don’t know how to get recorded that for the mix down?

Do we have to record the track three times and every single time just route one track to the fx section and record the master?
I hope it can be understand what I mean.

Also when using the performance knobs while playing the song. All is on the Master. How can we get it for the mix down.

For a good mix down we need every track with his fx and not all together.

We don’t want to use other fx.

We tried to only route the fx of each track to the master so that we have 1 fx track (sadly with all fx of the tracks at once) but better as nothing but it sounds terrible.
We thought it would be the same if we are recording the tracks without the fx on separate tracks and mix the one FX channel to them. It seems that it is important for the sounding that the tracks must route to the master, too if you want the same sound in the daw as direct from the machines.

It would be perfect to configure the routing in Overbridge so that every track has his own fxtrack in the daw.

I hope it is clear what I mean.

Thanks a lot

It’s not possible, all the FX are send FX, meaning that each track sends sound to one instance of the FX which gets routed to the main out.

The only way to record each track with its FX is to record the main outs soloing each track separately, yeah, it sucks :frowning: but that’s the sound engine architecture.

Edit: wouldn’t it be easier to use FXs in the DAW? Might take a bit more work if you had automated the FX on the machines but then you have FX per track (and a bigger range of choices to use).

Hi thank you for the quick answer.

OK I thought the same that these are send fx and we do have to record it as often we have fx.

Yes it would, but when you program a song via song mode than it is better to use the fx of the machines because you want a complete song on the machines without needing a laptop. And we want to perform our songs which are produced with the Elektrons live and without laptop. So it would be difficult to release tracks. They must be the same as in the live acts.

Hmm so we must record them a few times. This is also difficult because of using the performance knobs which everytime is a little bit different and when we can only send one channel then we must here the other channels without fx while recording and performing the song. Sadly it is not possible to automate the perf knob :)) or is it?

It would be great if we could load the analog four 4 times as a plugin in 4 different tracks in the Daw. Then choose in the plugin the song, and the in the first track only the sound of track 1 with fx master, in the second only track 2 and his master and so one… And the fx should be seperate to choose in a channel :))

You can automate via MIDI, page 100 of the A4 manual has the CC numbers for each knob: https://cdn.www.elektron.se/media/downloads/analog-four-mkii/Analog-Four-MKII-User-Manual_ENG_OS1.51C_220204.pdf

The AR has a similar MIDI implementation, check the manual.

You would need to automate on your DAW and send the MIDI automation to the Perf channel that you can setup on the MIDI config of each machine.

Probably it’s also possible to just automate the performance knobs on the VSTs from Overbridge, removing the necessity to send MIDI, but I can’t check it right now to confirm :sweat_smile:

Ah OK I will check it. But it is not possible to record the live movement like midi learn, or? So that it records the movement to a midi channel and after that send this recorded movement back to the four.

The knobs do send MIDI so it’s possible to record it and let the DAW replay it, it’s explained on the page I mentioned of the manual (page 100, I even linked on my last post).

OK that would be perfect so we will try to record the performance knobs movement first. Then after that we will send it back. Then we can easyli record it 3 times with each time solo master. Thank you for your help

1 Like

Mix the best you can in the Machines and Record a Live take on a Stereo Track. If you don’t like the result, adjust, rinse and repeat until you are happy. This way, you’ll be able to perform your Track in a Live situation.

Then, Master it.

2 Likes

Hi tchu,
That was my first intention because the synths have very good eqs, synths filters and so on.
Do you know if there is a tutorial or video like “how do I do a mix down in the elektron synths” or something similar with tips and tricks?

Or/and is it the same when I adjust the parameters In overbridge as on the hardware?

1 Like

Mixing inside elektron synths isn’t any different to mixing anywhere else. go by ear and feeling

If there is such video, I’m not aware.

Overbridge plugins are the perfect reflections of your Elektron Machines. Also, there is a Feature called Total Recall.

TOTAL RECALL Total Recall enables the plugin session to store the complete state of the device along with the plugin. This convenient feature enables your device to recall its exact state, as it was when you left it the last time you worked on your DAW project.