Preset button a bit hard on my analog heat

Today I detected a problem with my not-new-but-not-very-used AH.

The problem is that you need to press the preset button a bit in order for it to send to load preset message. The button clicks fine, but you have to press it a bit stronger to actually do something.

The unit has always been protected by a decksaver, and it looks and works like new apart from this.

Is there a good way to address the issue? Should I open a ticket with Elektron support?

For saving you don’t have to press it stronger but longer. That’s normal behavior so you can’t accidentally overwrite a preset by pushing it. A load should take one “normal” push. At least that is how my MK2 works.
If it hasn’t used much perhaps you give it some pushes to clean itself.

1 Like

I mean to load presets. I tried to give it some pushes as you suggested, but there is no difference. If you push softly, while the click can be clearly heard, it does nothing, you need to push it just a bit stronger.

This is no a big problem for myself, but it is a problem now that I’m trying to sell it.

If it’s within 3 years of manufacture (verify by the manufacture date from the sticker on the bottom by calculating week and year) the safest thing to do for your investment is to have elektron service the machine, it should be at no cost and then you won’t feel like you’re selling someone something with a latent (or prominent) issue. It will require the time to go through the motions of getting it repaired however.

If you have no warranty, I’d remove the encoder knob (I assume you’re speaking of the pressable encoder button) and using a bright light such as your phone flashlight, take a peek for any kind of obstruction such as hair wrapped around the metal shaft. I know you said you have a decksaver and you can hear the click, but if the travel is slightly impeded, it may not be making full contact unless you do the firm press as you describe. If you see something and can clear it off with the faceplate still installed then that’s great, if not you may have to unscrew the faceplate, remove the encoder knobs, and then carefully detach the upper PCB so that you can unscrew it from the faceplate and fully access the encoder shaft.

If it does turn out to have something impeding the travel, hair or anything caught on the shaft, I’d be careful about using any sharp object in an attempt to untangle it just in an attempt to avoid removing the face. Damaging the shaft or the bushing could be a different and more troublesome problem in and of itself as the act of removing the faceplate is much easier than the act of replacing an encoder. If possible, using a plastic spudger tool or something would be ideal.

1 Like