Prepping for OB for my Digitakt and I have a sync question

Been trying to figure out the best setup for my studio as I have a Cirklon on the way son. I use Ableton and getting the digitakt to sync with it has gotten a lot better since buying a USAMO, but that device is a little squirrley.

I decided to check out BitWig and see if I can use the Cirklon as the master clock, since apparently it can sync to hardware clocks. If this ends up working out, I would be quite happy since I’d have all myhardware and VSTs synced.

Is Overbridge affected in any way by this? I dont know how it works since I can’t try the software. But I’d like to have OB on so I can record all 8 tracks out of my Digitakt wheneverI feel like it.

For example, I create a kick pattern on the Cirklon and it’s controlling the Digitakt. I want to record that into Bitwig, and if it has no swing, I want it dead on the grid.

Is this going to be possible or is it better to use a DAW like Ableton as the master clock and invest in a better sync box? Or will OB make a sync box unnecessary? Just trying to plan out a tight hybrid setup without any more unnecessary expenses.

Ideally, my Cirklon will be the clock, as it is renowned for how tight it is.

Before there is finally a release of OB2 no one can really answer that question. Maybe one of the beta testers can give an outlook of the current affairs, but then - still - it’s not finished, so it may change before it lands on your computer.

Yes, true. I’m just trying to get a little insight if possible. Hopefully OB hits soon and I find out for myself.

What I am guessing is that it won’t matter how the Digitakt is clocked, it’s all about getting the audio into the DAW and “hopefully” dead on the grid.

It is interesting since the digitakt naturally has about 3ms of latency in it, which is no biggie. So you can just adjust the audio delay value for that amount and it syncs up. But I am interested in what OB does in terms of grid locking to a DAW, if anything. We shall see if anyone can share details.

I finally got the latest OB up and running with my Digitakt last night. I am using an expert sleepers USAMO device which I thought for sure would not work well with Overbridge. It turns out that all I had to do was turn off clock sync on the Overbridge plugin itself and allow everything else to keep running as usual.

I’m extremely pleased with the results so far. There is some uncorrected latency after the recording has been finished, which I adjust by hand afterwards. I still haven’t cracked that particular problem yet.

Edit: I should add that I’m using Reaper for my DAW.

1 Like

Well in my case, it turned out that I wasn’t using a USB 2.0 port on my computer to connect my Digitakt to. Once I addressed this, things became MUCH more solid.

1 Like