Prelisting sounds for live performance tricks

I’m curious what is your workflow when you want to check out a sound before playing it?

I have digitakt, syntak, digitone (also pulsar-23, keystep pro). I’m fairly new to music production, live play, djing, and techno

What i’m thinking of doing is outputting mono L to the sound system and using mono R out into headphones.

1. pick a new track
  2. in amp menu put all sound to R (headphones)
  3. unmute
  4. pick a sound
  5. in amp menu put all sound to L (the speakers)

the other options are to get a second syntakt and use a DJ mixer or maybe bluebox.

any other suggestions? how do you check out sounds before playing them in live shows?

I am also thinking about this.
But honestly, i dont want to loose stereo.
Carefully selecting and ordering your sounds/samples that goes to you devises and know them in and out is key.
Then, add samples and sounds to your soundpool that might fit into the song/project.
When you are in live performing mode, tests samples/sounds when you are unsure if they fit with a single manual beat-matching trig.

For live/djing i would go for mono.
Except silent disco, where everyone has headphones.

I never witnessed stereo sensation in clubs & co.

Id rather check a mixer with cue to prelistening.
Perhaps an Octatrack? :stuck_out_tongue:

Give it a try. Doesn’t seem practical. In live situation, it would take some time, a bit risky.

What I would do. Put an lfo on slots, and play your trusty sounds randomly ! :content:

.:pl:.

You are going to the wrong clubs :wink:

2 Likes

Great question.

I route my elektron devices to Ableton and use the cue output. I recommend using a looper device as well so you can pre-listen new tracks while the loop is still playing.

And I fully agree with the previous tips:

• Categorize your tracks per BPM and scale so you know which tracks will fit
  • Don’t go crazy with the stereo field if you’re planning to play in clubs. I almost never pan my tracks.
  • Your proposal seems a bit cumbersome to be honest. You want an approach that’s super intuitive and easy to use. You’re never on your A-game when playing live (nervous, a bit drunk, etc) so keeping things extra simple is what works best for me.
1 Like

Well, I’m an old fart.
I went bonkers in the 90ties, perhaps i destroyed my ears then :smiley: