PreenFM3

Not recorded anything from them yet - still playing with them !

They are pretty trivial builds - you can only buy assembled pcbs (the FM2 R6 pcb and FM3 pcbs aren’t yet open source), so you just need to solder the through hole stuff - it’s very very easy…

They look great!

Xavier is working on this- he posted 0.98 but took it down again. But I’m sure he will work it out soon. When you say ‘crash’ do you mean freezes the unit completely, or the screen goes blank? I get the screen going blank alot and have pressed Menu and Inst- ALOT!!! Will wait for the next fix before I try again. But very few actual crashes of the unit itself, admittedly with only simple MIDI input.

Yeah - he’s updating really frequently! I had actually updated to 0.98 before seeing his warning! I’m getting a lot of freezes with 0.97b. It seems to be a few midi files sent via ableton via din midi but I am trying to narrow it down before reporting. I’ve just downloaded stm32cube so will also take a look under the debugger when I find time.
I’m sure it’ll be great eventualy! (It’s why I built the fm2 as well - I expected the fm3 to be unstable…)

And now 0.98b is out already! Hopefully can test it out a bit tonight.

You might know already, but Xavier is really good at working with users to test out problems. But you obviously know alot more about coding compared to me (nothing) so you are probably already all over it :slight_smile:

1 Like

WANT ! Thing has been on my radar for quite some time to pair with the Polyend Tracker, I might get into it after I changed my speaker set.

hi guys- probably an incredibly silly question but whats the best way to go about updating the firmware? ive recently got the FM3 patch 1 (pre-built version) and atm there doesnt seem to be much in the way of a manual, so in terms of info i can only really find stuff relating to the FM2- would that information be applicable to the FM3 too?

Just copy the latest fw to the sd card. You can boot to the bootloader by holding the button that is above the 6 buttons on the left when powering on. You then get the option to select a fw (selectable with the + and - buttons on the right)…

2 Likes

I think it is really excellent !! It’s pretty trivial to build it and the 3d-printed case looks really good… go for it !!!

(I’m going to build another for a friend pretty soon - he’s just deciding between fm2 and fm3)

thanks for the reply- thats sounds very similar to the info i was reading for the FM2 firmware update, but wanted to double check so that i didnt accidentally mess something up.! cheers :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://ixox.fr/forum/index.php?topic=69722.0

This thread may help if you have any problems

Whether you can access the SD card over USB will depend on what bootloader version is currently installed on your FM3. I also have one of Ardi’s builds and had to open the case to get the SD card but the latest version of the bootloader has fixed this.

2 Likes

thats ace, cheers for that. i havent properly delved into that forum yet as ive only had the machine a few days. hopefully i wont have to open the case to get to the SD, DIY isnt my strong point at the best of times, certainly not with anything electronics related…!

If it’s any comfort, I am the same, but opening the case really is easy. You undo the two screws on the front and the 6 nuts at the back (holding the audio outputs) and that’s it. Take the SD card out, attach it to your PC to transfer the files over. Put it all back. No electronics actually involved thankfully. But check your bootloader version first, you might not have to open the case at all.

1 Like

cheers dude, appreciated

I saw this morning - I’ll try out 0.98b tonight and see if it fixes my problems ! (I’ve got a few stlinks so can connect it up and try debugging it as well to see what is going on… havent tried this yet but it should be pretty straightforward…)

Hey, i’m looking at Ambika or PreenFM3. Have a pretty good picture about Ambika but can’t find much info/videos for PreenFM3. Wondering if you know any videos, could share ir upload, please? Also what would be your feedback about PreenFM3? Also if you have experience with Ambika, what would be your thoughts vs PreenFM3? Thank you in advance.

Ambika - I’m working on an stm32 ambika by the way (think ambika with plaits code) :slight_smile:
Preenfm3 and ambika are very very different beasts ! Cant really compare them imo…
(note - I’ve never used the ambika or preen sequencers ! Only used them as sound sources)

I think preenfm3 is much more like a digitone (with a very basic sequencer) but with more polyphony/voices…

Cant think of any videos on it… but it’s very similar to the latest revision of the fm2 (with the new dac), just with a different screen, a bit deeper, more voices and more output jacks…

1 Like

Thanks.
I would pair with DT. I like how the the DN sounds. My music taste is: drone, ambient, minimal, techno. How are you finding a submenus on PreenFM3? What effects does it have?

1 Like

Oh … that sounds interesting. Do you have any STM32 Ambika project site or dedicated forum thread somewhere? Thanks.

Edit: OK, quick search revealed this. Great work!

@Ac12 Menus are easy to navigate of the fm3! (But the desktop editing app is lovely)
Effects -arp, loads of filters, panning,some distortion/saturation/bit crushing…

Thanks !

(Also some photos on my build log… navigate to modular->diy_modules)

www.batguitars.co.uk

1 Like