Preamps, am I crazy or are they crazy?

I saw a youtube video the other day where someone was running their synths into DI boxes and then into expensive preamps.

I have never even considered this. I have always plugged my synths either straight into an interface or into a mixer. Everyone in the comments though was talking about all the fancy preamps they were using on their synths like everyone did this and you would be crazy not to…

So am I like the only one who has never done this? Am I missing something or did I just happen to stumble on the one video every preamp obsessed synth user decided to comment on?

4 Likes

Some people think the more money they spend the better things sound, ad infinitum

37 Likes

You aren’t crazy, there’s no need to record synths through external preamps, since they output line level.

The only reason to do so is to impart the character of the preamp onto the synth’s signal, which is a very expensive way to achieve very subtle changes in sound character. You could achieve (different but similar) changes in character using plugins or cheap guitar pedals or an sp404 or whatever you like.

I feel like the whole hype of ‘needing’ different preamps for recording is mainly the product of our very consumerist instagram generation. If you run a big studio and do a lot of acoustic recording: yes, it’s great to have different preamps. For an average home studio it’s way less important than learning good mic placement.

46 Likes

Everybody is free to put in his audio chain whatever he/she feels to sound applicable for his/her intentions. And you’ll find social bubbles for every possible idea in this thing called internet.

For me it seems a little bit oft a youtube/social media thing that some people feel the need to put more things into their audio chain for narcistic reasons. Just to present having something that other may not have. Sharing an idea and talking about the unbelievable benefits nobody even imagined before (even if this could have been achieved with the already existing equipment)

It’s just internet. Nothing that should distract you.

4 Likes

Pretty useless tbh only application is making sample libraries, and in that case there is 13467975247 VST options for plugins that add a slight coloration/saturation to your sound.

I have tried it though on my dedicated rack pre. Just because it has a really gnarly saturation/overdrive at high gain

3 Likes

Agree, and this is why I like elektronauts better than gearslutz/space, people here seem to be way more levelheaded haha.

I do genuinely feel sorry for all those people who want to get better at making music, and are being told they need to buy more expensive gear instead of being advised to spent more time to practice/get better.

29 Likes

You can exchange preamps with anything on a gear forum loaded with users intoxicated on gas.

5 Likes

Total waste of money just to show off.

3 Likes

However, a decent pre-amp can definitely help with sources that have very low output levels.

cough … Argon8 …

Or MICs

2 Likes

All these bedroom Steve Albini fantasists and their preamps are full of shit.

DI boxes are for gigs, preamps are for microphones and people that run their synths through either of them for fun are idiots.

Agree completely.

23 Likes

There can be some value in [p]reamping a line level signal, especially with a tube pre where you can hit the input really hard to get some nice dirt and harmonics then lower the output to get back to line level.

Certain audio transformers are prized for the smoothness, warmth and quality they impart, although it could be argued in most cases that it is as much to do with the circuitry surrounding them as the transformers themselves. For most people the differences are not important enough to warrant the significant expense.

To my mind you can’t polish a turd, so if a sound or instrument sounds shit, then no amount of throwing money at outboard is going to improve things much, better off spending the money on gear that does not need a preamp to sound good.

As a creative tool they can be handy, but by no means are they necessary IMHO.

22 Likes

To each their own. I think it’s awesome however you utilize your equipment at hand.

6 Likes

A while ago I bought a couple of Black Lion Audio preamps (Auteur mkII) - these are pretty cheap and very very nice. No tube magic and pretty “neutral” compared to some of the stuff people are going for.

Got them specifically for recording a pair of condenser mics, and the difference to the Focusrite ones I had (Saffire) is impressive. Literally like night and day.

These come with Hi-Z ins, so also nice for bass DI, or even some of the low-level line-outs you find on budget gear.

Put them in a Fredenstein lunchbox, so in all I still spent a lot less than on one of the more desired amps. I wouldn’t mind a Neve or API but yeah, that’s not gonna happen.

Can highly recommend these, if you are looking…

But I’m certainly not using them as synthie fairy dust.

3 Likes

Bruce Swedien would disagree with you but he’s dead. Those Thriller basslines will live forever, though :happy:

10 Likes

I have a diy Mannequins RIP module that drops the output of my modular to mic level via two Cinemag transformers. No question, the transformers color the sound in a nice way. Having decent preamps is nice if you have any mic level signal. I built the RIP so I could get balanced outputs from my modular. Now that I’ve got an SSL Big Six, and everything routed through a patchbay–anything unbalanced is a headache. Sometimes unbalanced works fine, but sometimes it’s an issue–especially with half-nornalled patch bay connections. Just from an interference standpoint, I really appreciate having balanced connections.

5 Likes

oof. people have signal chains they like. why does it matter if they do?

really depends on the sound someone is going for and all those considerations. the same reason there’s a million different DI boxes… some of the impart color either gracefully or brutally. tube DI, jensen transformer DI etc. it can be part of the sound design process or it can be about subtle tone or it can just be what an engineer does because they like to do it.

is it absolutely needed? no but what is?

also, a mixer is a line amp and a mic pre… when you plug your synth into it you get the line amp… whatever that is… some are better than others obviously. some mic pres have a line input or DI input right on them so you don’t need an external DI and you can still get gain control to hit whatever recording medium you are hitting at the level of your choice or an EQ and compressor on the way to that medium.

some DIs are active and you can drive them. check out the Reddi DI… or the DIs that are active and take line level and have like 40db of gain. people get these things because of the tube or transformer in the signal path and how it makes things sound.

until you have heard a mackie/yamaha etc mixer next to something else considered “pro audio” then you can’t really tell what the difference is. it’s there.

but will anyone notice? idk… i guess that’s the thing. my experience has been yes… in the same way people will notice something recorded poorly on any kind of gear vs something recorded well on any kind of gear.

i’ve owned a bunch of pro audio stuff over the years… sadly had to sell all or most of it around 2008 when the economy took a huge dump.

i won’t soon forget how good my machinedrum sounded through 2 avalon DIs directly into my audio interface. they have line level outputs and plenty of gain. the bass extension was flat and clear down to like 30hz. it was gorgeous. i think freq response of the avalon di is flat at .1hz to 25khz or something crazy. also, the Jensen 6 channel DI is awesome. as is the Phoenix Audio Nice DI.

also, the AMS Calrec Minimixer was instant vibe. super simple musical EQ that never sounded bad and the line ins adn mic pres were a perfect mix of color vs clarity for me. instantly noticeable next to my mackie.

anyway… you don’t need to spend a shit ton of money on pro audio gear but it’s fun to have a few gems in the signal path of that’s your thing. is it worth getting obsessed over? probably not unless you are a professional making your living from music or recording.

TL DR… if you put a synth thru a DI into a mic pre it’s basically like having a nice line amp with a transformer or tube depending on your mic pre. it’s pretty much how most Bass guitar tracks are recorded… 1 channel for DI and the other channel is micing the cabinet. the DI gives a better transient attack of the bass and then the 2 tracks get layered. it’s a common technique.

have seen many synths/drum machines recorded in similar ways or just stereo DI into a mic pres -> eqs -> compressors.

i miss a few of the pro audio things i had… mostly an API compressor and the AMS Calrec mixer… currently using a patch bay and a mackie and good converters. i record synths usually directly into the audio interface and sometimes thru the mackie.

22 Likes

I only do this for fun.

I’m now going to plug my DN into the SiX preamps because It’s Friday and I don’t have shit to do.

11 Likes

Everybody is crazy.

Preamps will change the sound. A polarity invert cancellation test will show you exactly how much the sound changed from one thing to the next.

It’s art, right? FFS use what you want. Plenty of people have gone broke betting on horses, drugs, clothes, cars… it’s only money. They will make more until the current fiat system crashes and the new money comes into play… then you can do the same thing with that money.

I like this thing because it doesn’t damage my health, I can’t kill anyone doing it, and when it’s bumping people move their asses and have a good time.

I’m currently on an SSL and BeyerDynamic kick because I can finally afford things I wanted from my teens - experientially, I’m getting better results from the pro gear faster than I used to from the pro-Sumer gear I’ve used forever.
Is this a case of gear used being better or 20 odd years of practice, or both? If you have a time machine we could find out…
Eventide is also nice.

SCG

12 Likes

I’m not much of a preamp nut, but i do love to re-amp signals and capture the nice rooms I have access too. I’m sure a Lexicon reverb would do the same trick but I like experimenting with mic placements to dial in my tones.

2 Likes

If I could (afford it) I would definitely run stuff through preamps. Turn it up!