Powering M:C with a portable power bank

I’m going to order my M:C soon and I need advice on using it outside. Do you power it through USB or USB >> DC? I read that it requires only 5V so connecting power bank with usb-to-dc cable would be ok. Also, what capacity is enough for 3-4 hours of outdoor jamming? How long would, say, a 10,000 mAh power bank last?

Thanks in advance.

yeah, a usb to barrel jack is all you need. and 10,000mAh would give you plenty battery life. I use a 6700mAh one and probably get around 6 hours.

2 Likes

I think the back and side connectors use different voltages and (I think) different cables. Anyway this one works fine in the back connector.

Yeah, of course you use DC, otherwise you want to see fireworks. :sweat_smile:

I used a very generic powerbank from IKEA (I think 4000mAh, something like that) and soldered a barrel jack cable from an old synth adapter. The trick is to find correct diameter, because they differ and even a narrower one doesn’t get to touch the sides. Ah, and I use side jack on M:C (the one that’s meant for power handle; you need to remove a cover, though), not the one on the back, because that’s the only diameter I had and I was too lazy to order a proper one.

All in all, works absolutely fine.

So that works off USB/5V too ? Good to know, I thought that needed a higher voltage.

Yes, works fine. I mean it’s the same device no matter the jack, so if the main one work, the side one should work too, it will draw 5V in any case.

1 Like

The power specs are in the manual if you need them, but I think the side jack works off anywhere from 4-10v DC.

As ever with battery power, just make sure you get the polarity right for the connection.

I reckon 10 hours+ for a 10000mAH supply.

1 Like

I like battery power through a USB battery pack so much that I never use my model:cycles on the mains now, as the battery means I can just use it anywhere in the house. Battery pack lasts easily long enough that I can just charge it overnight if its getting a bit low.

Right, sorry, I was too lazy to look it up, I think I just remembered 10V

I used the 5V Ripcord plugged into the power handle’s power plug under the left circular cover.

Works well and makes the unit realise its an external battery. This means when you press the power button, you then have to turn it to confirm so it doesn’t accidently power on in a bag.

It also shows a battery icon

I use some generic usb to DC power cable bought on Amazon with my M:S. The ones that come with multiple diameters DC male plugs. That way I can plug on the side or the back depending on my setup.

1 Like

I have accidentally plugged 9V, center negative on the side jack and can confirm that the model: cycles is reverse power protected. It wouldn’t power on, and then I realized I forgot the polarity switcher dongle. Thankfully, no damage done.

I’ve used two or three different USB to barrel adaptors using the DC input on the back.

What I have found is that it’s fairly fussy about what fits, as most of my adaptors wiggle a bit too much and often cut the power if knocked. Probably just something that’s fairly inherent in using such thin bloody barrels I guess.

1 Like

Is that more applicable to the side socket or the bak socket in your experience ? In my limited experience, the back socket has been okay … never cut out on me though it does seem to be wobbly.

I’ve only ever used the one on the back. The Elektron PSU fits fine, but most of the other barrels I’ve used with it are a bit sketchy.

1 Like

Would a Ripchord for DN/DT also work on the M:C power plugin? Also, can the M:C USB in port not be used to power the device by connecting it straight from USB to a powerbank?

You can’t power the models via the USB port, not an option, sorry.

1 Like

The power input on the side (under one of the rubber caps) can handle anything between 4 and 10 volts. I think the DN/DT are 12 V machines, so I wouldn’t recommend going in with 12V on the M:C. However, since the rear port on the M:C is 5V you can use a USB to barrel plug cable to power from a powerbank. I’m doing that as we speak. You just have to make sure you get one with the correct barrel size. Check the specs at Elektron.se

3 Likes

No need for ripcord with the Models.

Any USB plug to 5.5mm(outer), 2.1mm (inner) will work.

1 Like