Power to Midi keyboard?

Just a short simple question. Can the Syntakt Power a Midi keyboard like the Keystep over USB while also transmitting Midi. So you would just need one Cable?

The Syntakt doesn’t have any USB-A ports, so that seems unlikely.

No

1 Like

You and supposedly me (we both) need USB MIDI host. Host will Power keyboard and convert it’s USB MIDI info into MIDI that will go to Syntakt…

Or a small keyboard with MIDI out like the Keysteps. That could run of a powerbrick…

Yeah, but its 2022, I don‘t want to sit on the couch and need two power cables for that little setup. All that useless cable crap. Why isn‘t there still a standard to just plug one cable for data and power in one.

Do I really need to spend 2000Bucks for an overpriced OP-1 just to sit on the couch without the danger of being hung by ropes? :joy:

No, just use Syntakt keyboard fold mode! :content:
Very playable, probably better than OP1 if you’re ok to play with available scales…

Or a battery powered Keyboard with midi trs/din out…

2 Likes

This will be my Last resort :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

This is just the thing for you. No, really. 5 pin MIDI, battery operated, and cheaper than a Launchkey Mini.

1 Like

I hope you can change octaves with it, otherwise it’s useless…

Keyboard also functions as a MIDI controller and boasts a two-octave, non-weighted, velocity-sensitive keybed ranging from C3 to C5.

If I remember correctly, you can change octave with the D pad. There’s a touch strip assigned to pitch bend, but no mod wheel. Full size keys that are reasonably ok too. I used to use this as my main MIDI controller! For $20-40 on eBay and the like, or free if you have one stashed in your closet it’s far from the worst option out there.

Man, I was just about to jam out with only a syntakt and a small usb keyboard. Or so I thought :slight_smile:

I was so sure I’d done it before. Took me a good while to realize I must’ve mixed it up with the mpc live.

I agree that two power cables for a mobile setup feels a bit too much, then I’d rather just skip the midi keyboard all together for that kind of session…. :sweat: