Postal Service and Death Cab

So apparently there is a Postal Service and Death Cab reunion tour underway. I just found out today and so now we’re headed to Orlando to catch them tonight. Is anyone else going or have you already been?

5 Likes

Oh man! If I had known sooner I’d meet you there.

3 Likes

just got me tied up in knots thinking about it, that’s awesome! have fun! that transatlanticism album is still my go to “I’m in a mood” listening music, what an incredible recording! all analog!

4 Likes

I am jealous ! Love both. Enjoy :heart:

3 Likes

Oh man, the incredible wide open spaces of „Lightness“ :heart:!

2 Likes

I’m shocked I hadn’t heard about this prior. I’ve been a huge fan of their many projects and this is the 1st time I’ve had the opportunity to see them.

1 Like

Yep, I saw the tour when it hit LA a while back. It was fun. Not the best sound when I saw them (at the Hollywood Bowl) but still fun nonetheless.

1 Like

Jimmy Tambarello is a legend, Machinedrum and Monomachine sounds all over those early releases.

1 Like

not true. Postal Service has microKorg all over it. he got the MD and MnM a few years later (actually MnM wasn’t even out when he wrote that record). listen to “Mistake Mistake Mistake” by him (as James Figurine) for lots of MnM and MD, including on some remixes by John Tejada.

1 Like

Oh wow…that should be a great show.

Any other fans of Dntel around these parts?

3 Likes

That debut Dntel release was soooo good.

definitely, love Dntel. He’s still super active in LA, DJ’ing on Dublab regularly and playing shows around town. One of my earliest electronic influences.

2 Likes

I wish there was a way to know how many folks got in to synths and drum machines after they heard the postal service.

4 Likes

Never heard of Postal service, quick search, they sound pretty cool! Gonna have to take a listen!

3 Likes

1 Like

Yes wasn’t referring to the postal service, just his work in general, though I would be surprised if the Machinedrum wasn’t used on any postal service releases, very much has that sound.

1 Like

extremely formative music for me in high school. that one postal service record is an all timer.

1 Like

Death Cab and Postal Service were a influential flash in a pan. Postal Service was a side project that went platinum, with no follow up.

In Orlando there is a club called The Social that is a legendary host to many fantastic indie artists. Death Cab played there several times in the late '90s and early '00s and they thanked The Social during their set last night, which I thought was cool. The Social occupancy would have been around 1500 or so and I think last night’s show was around 10,000. A couple albums released 20-25 years ago and the fan base has grown. Wild.

The band(s) played as Death Cab first, announced they would take a 15 minute break and come back to Give Up.

The only song I wish I had heard last night is this:

I would go see them again but this was the only show in the SE US. I was surprised to see that they skipped Miami, Atlanta, Chicago, and NYC for example, instead preferring a number of smaller cities.

1 Like

They didn’t skip NYC, this tour has been going on for a while now. A friend of mine saw them in Brooklyn near the start of the tour. I think they are circling around now for part 2, playing smaller markets.

1 Like

I’ve always like both groups.

The drummer was my substitute drum teacher many years ago and before Death Cab for Cutie. Definitely happy for them all, as they’re PNW peeps (at least the DCfC are)

1 Like