Post gas deflation

after much frenzied searching and questioning and quite frankly existential contemplation of the universe, i made the executive decision to not buy such and such, and rather, instead purchase the other.

it was so exhilaratingly informative and interactive.

and now, it’s just a matter of going and buying the last item.

so that’s great. but the gas festival is over.

hmmm although maybe i should research the Elektron Heat, for some unspecified fabulous time in the future, when the next phase of investment happens.

also: what are people’s thoughts on buying a vintage 8 track reel to reel? that would be months of research right there lol :smiley:

1 Like

Well, I’m done with gasing, too. I’ve got my kit now and feel good about it. It’s like a months long decompression.

5 Likes

[quote=“previewlounge, post:1, topic:44617”]
and now, it’s just a matter of going and buying the last item[/quote]

Unfortunately there is no such thing as “the last item” :grin:

1 Like

actually Toneboosters make a lovely free plugin called Reelbus, very cool tape emulation, but they don’t list it on their product page any more, i don’t know why.

i guess now is the time to actually envision what cool things to do.

or what cool approaches to explore to achieve previously dreamed fun times.

lol there is if the ironing board has no space left.

although come to think of it … a new ironing board would be great.

1 Like

I really think post GAS deserves it’s own thread. It’s such a weird feeling when you realize that getting new stuff just doesn’t give you the dopamine high it used to anymore.

6 Likes

Is the 303 your favourite Roland SP-sampler, or did you just end up with one? I’m asking because many seems to think this is the one to get, despite the more attractive specs of the later models.

I’m getting a sampler for that very reason. Why won’t someone just bring the porta back into the ages? Though I’m in no rush, the Deluge has decent sampling and resampling features for the purpose.

[quote=“bradleyallen, post:12, topic:44617”]
My latest thing is simply giving useful gear away to the young people I know who’re just starting out and teaching them how to use it properly so they can go on and do the same for others someday. Ultimate dopamine rush. [/quote]

yes, this is a wonderful sentiment and practise.

also is a way of cultivating gratitude.

and as Feynman once quipped, teaching an area in the simplest possible phrasing helps oneself understand more.

after the way you glowingly (and accurately) described the Digitakt, i am guessing that would be the sampler?

1 Like

You would be correct :sunglasses:thanks for the kind review of my words. Tho as mentioned, I’m in no hurry. In many aspects, the Deluge fills that purpose right now.

1 Like

I thought this was an anti-gas thread? Now I just want an sp303.

4 Likes

Very much so! As much as I’ve enjoyed playing with my MPC Live, that sinking feeling that it isn’t quite hitting the mark has set in. The MPC doesn’t stand a chance long term so now thinking should I just cut my losses and shift it on now or should I try my hardest to “make things work”?!

It really is a strange feeling. I generally research the bollocks of things before I buy them so where does it go wrong?! I do think being an ITB guy at heart hasn’t helped but still - what the hell?! haha.

maybe if you view the Mpc Live as a sound source rather than a production centre, you could feel cool about keeping the instrument.

Enjoyment of playing is key.

Completion is always just around the next bend.

1 Like

I don’t want to derail the thread but when you have Maschine and Push controllers sitting on the desk it’s really difficult to justify whapping out the Live, even as a sound source!

You’re right though - enjoyment of playing is essential. I sat down with Push for the first time in a while for an hour or so this evening and felt good getting back in to things. Finding time has been incredibly hard of late. Need to sort that out pronto!

the portability of the Live is potentially amazing for mobile inspiration, especially if combined with a portable speaker.

but to connect with the instrument in the studio zone, maybe try hiding the other controllers, to ease any stage nerves of the Akai.

it isn’t derailing the thread though; in fact, part of Post Gas Deflation is maybe just a natural time of trying to figure out how to really enjoy the new gear.

1 Like

If anyone wants to relive that GAS experience, I’ll volunteer to hang on to any of your gear until your jonesing for it again, then I will sell it back to you. :sweat_smile:
You’ll have that excitement all over again!
.#nautscommunityservice

5 Likes

part of the post gas deflation is also an awareness of what gear was not purchased, out of the potential list of purchases that were made on paper.
And so partly a bittersweet victory.

but really the entire idea of “Great Expectations” is an emotionally charged subject, the possible, the potential, the present, and so forth.

maybe just playing the new gear at high volume would help.
as always, the simple yet complex art of gratitude is an elusive Elysia.

Reelbus is not free any more, but still great.

1 Like